Things Ive Donated

RJB

About 3 years ago in late summer I took two of my buddys out to the Eel River in Humboldt County in Northern California to hunt for gastropods. The river was very very low so we could drive our ATV's out there. Otherwise its a bit of a walk, especialy on the way back with a full pack!!! I was doing purty dang good and found about 5 or 6 snails with two being really nice, and even today I still have what looks to be a super duper good rock that should have several gastros in it, but have not prepped yet. One of my buddys was doing ok and found 2 gastros, but niether were complete, and my other buddy didnt find a single thing. Poor guy. I figured I was done and took about 20 minutes or so wrapping things up and packing it all onto my ATV. Once I was done, I could see these guys might be awhile, so I found the top of a really big concretion that was mostly buried in the river gravel bar. I yelled to my buddy that wasnt finding anything and told him I had a very large concretion for him, but when he saw the size of it, he passed. So I figured I would dig it out and see if I could wack it open? It took both of us to get this big rock out if it hole and I went to my bike to get my 12 pound sledge. At first, all it did was bounce off the rock, but soon you could see a crack. After carefully using a chisle to get it open, you could tell immediatly that there was bone in it! Both my buddys quickly said "peices of rib bone", but within another second or two I could tell it was not 'rib bone'. Then I saw part of a tooth and got really excited. Part of this was on the opposing piece of rock, so I had to take it home also and cut off about 50 pounds of rock, then glue that back onto the other part and start air scribing. I also noticed that once home that there was a very small piece of tooth missing that fell out when I got it open and also a piece of the jaw. I went back the next day to try and find these pieces, but it was not to happen! Dam!! Anyways, I simply rebuilt those parts. Sad, but thats the way this one went. If Boesse is reading this, he can tell you guys a lot more info on this specimen. He is the guy who is studying it. Enjoy

RB

post-171-1201991133_thumb.jpg

post-171-1201991189_thumb.jpg

post-171-1201991230_thumb.jpg

post-171-1201991287_thumb.jpg

post-171-1201991343_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

thats so cool!! whats it from??

wow that would be a nice find...

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.