Is this a crinoid?

Michelle Sawicki Library

Usually I find impressions of crinoids. Is this an actual fossilized crinoid? It looks like a tiny flower. It is very small.

20170707_094349~2.jpg

Could be a solitary coral (not the polyp though, that's the actual soft animal). Or possibly a single crinoid columnal. How small is very small? :)

Tarquin

29 minutes ago, ynot said:

Whoops.:blush:

What do You call that part of the coral then.

It's a corallum - "exoskeleton of a solitary polyp or of a bud in a colony" (Treatise). :)

Tarquin

looks like the tip of a horn coral to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have never seen a crinoid facet with the characters shown in the specimen in question, so I'm leaning toward a coral.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Agreed that it is a coral. Too irregular. Crinoid columnals will have a much more regular and symmetrical form although the symmetry is most often pentagonal.

Archived