gastropod ? ammonite ? goniatite ?

Rocky Stoner

Hi again folks.

There are sparsely scattered chunks of sandstone and other rock here. Today I found this one barely exposed at the surface.

It was extremely difficult to break in two and is full of sparkles, like small quartz flakes. It is not the normal sandstone.

There appears to be a section of a crinoid and a spiral gastropod of sorts.

I found no reference to it in the link posted above and have not seen another one here.

Looks like it may be an "open" tapered coil where the coils do not touch one another, not sure though.

Something new here every day .... never a dull moment. (unless I'm boring you with the same ol same ol)

Kind regards.

IMG_9746.JPG

IMG_9747.JPG

I think it's oriskany sandstone/quartzite. It's sometimes metamorphosed and contains Gastropoda, which I what I believe it is. It's slightly later than mahantango I think.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

As best I can tell, I am at the base of a mountain on which these 4 formations all come to the surface.

Being the mountain was likely once the as high as the alps, the variety here is understandable.

Thanks.

(get your package?)

ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 28 07.34.jpg

17 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

As best I can tell, I am at the base of a mountain on which these 4 formations all come to the surface.

Being the mountain was likely once the as high as the alps, the variety here is understandable.

Thanks.

(get your package?)

ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 28 07.34.jpg

I'm currently away, so I'm not sure if I got the package. I've been told needmores best for trilos btw

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Neat finds, Rocky. :)

I think you have an internal cast of a gastropod.

Your crinoid actually looks more like a coral.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Neat finds, Rocky. :)

I think you have an internal cast of a gastropod.

Your crinoid actually looks more like a coral.

Regards,

I'll second that.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I'm currently away, so I'm not sure if I got the package. I've been told needmores best for trilos btw

Hey, I have access to many needmore exposures ! Thanks for that tidbit.

(UPS left the package on the porch Thur.)

Regards.

Top one is certainly an internal cast of a coiled gastropod, Thats a pretty common fossil in both marine and lacustrine sediments.  If it was say a cephalopod, you would probably be seeing some partitions along the curve, which is not present.  Here is a similar one I found in the mississippian Redwall Limestone.

large.5955a42dcebdb_Picture511a.jpg.57f6c98a18e595bfd7f15be3df472cc9.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Thanks Chris, that looks like a match to me.

Kindest regards from Wild Wonderful West Virginia.

This is the first one of these that I've found in the densely populated part of the garden shale.

IMG_9753.JPG

IMG_9754.JPG

IMG_9755.JPG