Pat Watson

Unfortunately you will not find any fossil sites close to Callaway Gardens as the area bedrock is Precambrian metamorphic and igneous rock.  There are some Cretaceous sites south of Columbus, but most are on Fort Benning and not accessible.  Some streams on the Alabama side down around Eufaula also expose Cretaceous rock.  If you head towards Roberta and on towards Perry there are some old and some active quarries in Eocene limestone as well as many kaolin mines.  These can produce echinoids and shark teeth, but getting permission to access them is difficult.   Also none of those sites are "near" Callaway Gardens.

Your best bet may be to join a mineral or fossil club, such as the Georgia Minerological Society (which has a fossil section) as they often arrange access to quarries or sites on private property that you won't be able to access as an individual.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Don! I'll do that. I'd like to take the grandchildren. Do they allow that?

• 2 weeks later...

Check out their web site for rules and such.  They do have a section for junior members.  I don't know how old your grandkids are, but active quarries will almost always not allow young children.

Don

Thanks for the information. They're 9 and 12, but I'll double check before we head out anywhere.