Giant land gastropod?

3lost

I cannot find any info on what this might be...and I have spent 10's of hours trying to.   It looks to have "bite or tooth scars" on the top (bottom if it's a ammonoid or etc.) rear of the fossil.  I bought it at a garage sale near Honey Lake, Ca.  I was laughed at, but I still think it's a huge snail of some sort.  It's fossil weight is about 45 lbs.    

Any help with this large paper weight is great.

Thank you very much,

Jeri

unnamed-6.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

your photos are a bit blurry to make out any detail, but I believe it is just an interesting geologic form

I agree, geological. It's an example of spheroidal weathering, this led to it interesting shape.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 7/7/2017 at 6:35 PM, 3lost said:

I have added a few more photos, as I agree the others were terrible.  (they didn't look that bad on my phone !_ 

All these other "snail" fossils we find around our property at home.  They are not in the best of condition, but some you can see a little better definition.  I don't know what these are either yet.  We find all kinds, these are just a few.   Sorry for the terrible others.   (they just won't sit still !_

I cannot find any info on what this might be...and I have spent 10's of hours trying to.   It looks to have "bite or tooth scars" on the top (bottom if it's a ammonoid or etc.) rear of the fossil.  I bought it at a garage sale near Honey Lake, Ca.  I was laughed at, but I still think it's a huge snail of some sort.  It's fossil weight is about 45 lbs.    

Any help with this large paper weight is great.

Thank you very much,

Jeri

unnamed-6.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

unnamed-14.jpg

unnamed-10.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-18.jpg

Sorry, but I'm not really seeing anything fossil-ish here, either. :( 

I see some sedimentary rocks, and possibly some concretions weathered and water worn. :unsure: 

I think they are just suggestively shaped/weathered/worn rocks. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:Welcome-crab:

I agree with Tim and Tony, no fossils to be seen :(

Good news is, you can start your collection now! California is quite rich in fossils.

Here are some locations you could hunt at:

Capitola: here you can find seashells, urchins, crabs, whale bones and with a bit of luck shark teeth. All fossils from the Pliocene.

https://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=506

Isla Vista: here you can find seashells from the Pleistocene.

https://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=505

Jalama beach: here you can find fish and seashells from the Cretaceous.

https://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=589

Bakersfield: probably the most famous fossil location in CA, here you can find many cool shark teeth and bones of sea mammals from the Miocene.

https://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=470

Tony @ynot lives in California, and he will surely tell you what the best locations are, and how you can access them. 

Happy fossil hunting!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

27 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Tony @ynot lives in California, and he will surely tell you what the best locations are, and how you can access them. 

Yes I am in California, but I live in a fossil barren area.

Most of My fossil hunting has been in other states and the few places that I have been in California are now closed, do not have anything of interest (to Me) or charge money to get in (sharktooth hill).

There are a lot of fossils in the coastal mountains, but I can not give any good locations as I do not know any.

There are some good petrified wood sites in the Sierra Nevada mountains and in the desert southwest part of the state.

There are a few earlier marine sites in the southwest desert and in the northern parts of the state.

What part of California You are in can make a difference as to what can be found.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

23 hours ago, ynot said:

Yes I am in California, but I live in a fossil barren area.

Most of My fossil hunting has been in other states and the few places that I have been in California are now closed, do not have anything of interest (to Me) or charge money to get in (sharktooth hill).

There are a lot of fossils in the coastal mountains, but I can not give any good locations as I do not know any.

There are some good petrified wood sites in the Sierra Nevada mountains and in the desert southwest part of the state.

There are a few earlier marine sites in the southwest desert and in the northern parts of the state.

What part of California You are in can make a difference as to what can be found.

Alright. 

Do you know if the locations I recommended before are any good? I never went there personally, so I can't know.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

17 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Do you know if the locations I recommended before are any good?

Have not been to Capitola for 40 years, but it was a fun place at low tide back then.

Love Sharktooth hill, but it is pricey, worth it, but..Never been to the other places so can not say.

PS It is illegal to collect vertebrate fossils in California (except private lands with permission.).

Just now, ynot said:

PS It is illegal to collect vertebrate fossils in California (except private lands with permission.).

Does this also count for shark teeth???

Max Derème

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Not that I am aware of.

Ok

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Not that I am aware of.

Maybe you mean it's illegal to collect tetrapod fossils, instead of vertebrate.

Max Derème

8 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Ok

Maybe you mean it's illegal to collect tetrapod fossils, instead of vertebrate.

Shark teeth are an exception in the law. But I believe fish fossils are also off limits.

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

Shark teeth are an exception in the law. But I believe fish fossils are also off limits.

Ah ok, thanks for lightening that up.

Max Derème