Michelle Sawicki Library

I'm thinking not. :( I'm seeing no bones, scales, or plate morphology in this piece.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Well bummer! I thought maybe I had finally found a fish!

Well, keep trying. :) 

I do think getting a better understanding of the geology of where you are finding things will be very helpful in determining what you can hope to find. If the local geology shows that the rocks are before the rise of fish, you'll know it won't be likely to find a fossil fish!

Now we're cooking with gas! If the rocks are indeed Ordovician, we can rule out fish as they only really started coming into focus by the Devonian. You can expect to find a lot of other very interesting marine fossils like nautiloids, trilobites, corals, crinoids, graptolites, brachiopods and the like. 

Have found about a million crinoids, including this one today.

20170707_202853~3.jpg

7 minutes ago, Foozil said:

If there are crinoids, then generally there wont be fish. There can be, but if its ordovician...

Well, not necessarily ;) 

There are plenty of crinoids in the Devonian, for example. I've found fish plates in the same layers as crinoids.. But, yeah, Ordovician fish is highly unlikely! :D 

• I found this Informative 2

32 minutes ago, Kane said:

Well, not necessarily ;) 

There are plenty of crinoids in the Devonian, for example. I've found fish plates in the same layers as crinoids.. But, yeah, Ordovician fish is highly unlikely! :D 

Forgot about them! Thanks for the correction :D

Attempt to find rocky outcroppings and road cuts near you. There are trilobites found near your area..

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG