Miocene_Mason

First of all, thanks to @GordonC for alerting me of the Carbondale sites existence, and secondly Jeff at this site for giving me directions, as well as further information. Okay, so being in the area, about 45 minutes away in lake Wallenpaupack, I decided to take a trip to Carbondale. This trip turned out fantastic, at least I think it did (I've never hunted in Carboniferous stuff, so I may be over excited over what I've found). The information online is sparing, so I'm gonna give a rundown on it here so others can hunt. First you drive to this location . Go between the third and fourth apartment buildings on the right. You will see gravel. Walk behind the dumpster to the brush, about here. Then turn left and walk on the cleared path there. All websites say it's a road, but it's a little to think of driving on. Walk to the end on the path to a clearing, and you will see piles of sediment from the mine. This is what I searched in, it's very fossiliferous. It seems there is a larger hill a little further that's completely made of trainings, but I couldn't find a way to get to it. The actual site I hunted at is here. Go at your own risk, as the place is sketchy, I had one encounter with the local law enforcement. He had no idea of the fossils. The site is Llewellyn formation, late middle to late Pennsylvanian ( which is late Carboniferous). I found lots of logs and calamites and branches and things I have never seen before. Some I'm particularly proud of, and they have put everything else I have collected to shame. I may try for FOTM, but I doubt I'll win, competition just keeps getting tougher and tougher! Y'all will be seeing lots of Carboniferous ID requests from me soon. Here's some pictures of how to get to the site. I didn't take as many as I would have liked because I was excited to find things, to my despair I forgot my bucket, so I was stuck carrying heavy things back to the car. Well, hope this helps people! Happy hunting!

IMG_2048.JPG

Here's one of the piles

IMG_2047.JPG

A smaller one of course:D

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looking forward to seeing the fossils. :popcorn:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

6 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Looking forward to seeing the fossils. :popcorn:

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

:popcorn::popcorn:

A few were posted right after this one, I just posted two more. There are even more to come...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

A few were posted right after this one, I just posted two more. There are even more to come...

Where?

Not showing up on this thread.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Where?

Not showing up on this thread.

Sorry meant thread after this one, here it is

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, ynot said:

Just for continuity You should place them here too.

Okay, once I get them some proper IDs.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here are some of my finds at Carbondale, more coming soon...

1) large sample of cortex from near the base of a plant

2) lycopod leaves that have fallen into the shape of two L's

3 and 4) I'm relatively sure these are calamites sp.

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2101.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Next up are some roots or rhizoliths, all found from splitting one boulder:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

These two are front and back

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

These two are front and back

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Before I post my find s here in like them to have a proper ID, you guys can help me ID some more here

Happy hunting,

Mason

Okay, here comes some more, starting with Calamites sp. and branches

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

Next up some rhizolithes/roots

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

And here we have further plant material

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

First two of those are front and back

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks to all who helped ID, and thanks for stopping by my report. If you go I wish you the best of luck in finding fossils.

happy hunting,

WhodamanHD

Happy hunting,

Mason

When I get bored, I start splitting rocks I probably shouldn't. However, this time it turned out well, and this Carbondale rock yeilded some calamites sp.

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 2 weeks later...

@WhodamanHD

It is very kind of you to provide a very detailed guide to the location of your site.

If it were a site I wanted to continue collecting, I might be a bit more selective about how I spread the word.

This site will have a very limited productive lifespan and won't hold up to heavy collecting. This also looks like a suburban site where heavy foot traffic wouldn't be appreciated (which may involve further encounters with local law enforcement).

Just remember that there are thousands of people visiting this forum every week, and many are guests or not members.

just a friendly word of warning. I admire your generosity and kindness but don't want to see you disappointed in the future if one of your sites was to be ruined by over collecting.

• I found this Informative 3

28 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

@WhodamanHD

It is very kind of you to provide a very detailed guide to the location of your site.

If it were a site I wanted to continue collecting, I might be a bit more selective about how I spread the word.

This site will have a very limited productive lifespan and won't hold up to heavy collecting. This also looks like a suburban site where heavy foot traffic wouldn't be appreciated (which may involve further encounters with local law enforcement).

Just remember that there are thousands of people visiting this forum every week, and many are guests or not members.

just a friendly word of warning. I admire your generosity and kindness but don't want to see you disappointed in the future if one of your sites was to be ruined by over collecting.

Yes, I am aware of this. There are already directions to this site, and finds from it elsewhere online, as well as one on the forum. I'm not gonna be able to go there too often, as I am online near the location maybe a few weeks a year, and As I have said before, it's a sketchy place (most would turn around after seeing the place). Carbondale is a poor place with a drug problem (this is because decline in the coal industry) and this problem is also effected the rest of the area (Scranton, Wilkes-barre, etc.) so not a huge fossil hunting area. I'd also rather have most fossils saved from erosion, than have them all in my collection. I'm tooo new to collecting to have any real "honey holes"  but I'm always on the hunt for one. But thank you for reminding me of the dangers of sharing sites, always good to have it on my mind!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Excellent finds. I really need to visit the Carbondale area.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

9 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Excellent finds. I really need to visit the Carbondale area.

Yeah, lots of fossil sites in the area for next time your back east.

Happy hunting,

Mason