Another Mammal Tooth from Cooper River SC

Fossiljones

Hi All,

I'm presenting another mammal tooth I found diving the Cooper River in South Carolina.

You'll notice only  a small percentage of the tooth is covered with beautiful brown enamel (or is it cementum?).

When I found the tooth, it had complete 100% coverage.  I had no idea it was so fragile.  I dropped it into my goody bag, and unfortunetly (?) I was having a good dive and had picked up quite a few other fossils including some big megs.  By the time I surfaced and emptied my bag, most of that beautiful brown enamel (?) was nothing but a big pile of flakes in the bottom of the bag.  It's a real bummer.  It was in very pristine condition when I picked it up.  It must of been a very recent erosion, because otherwise the river would've stripped the tooth itself.

Anyway, I'm not sure what it is...

DSC09663_01.JPG

DSC09653_01.JPG

DSC09658_01.JPG

DSC09660_01.JPG

DSC09662_01.JPG

Hey garyc,

If it's Sloth, then I'm very happily surprised!

Now I really wish I would've been more careful with it...

It should've never gone into the bag unprotected from the other fossils.

Always learning....

The brown flaky stuff is cementum. Sloth teeth won't have enamel. Very nice tooth.

No enamel, no cementum either.  Sloth teeth do have an exterior layer of harder dentin, and that may be what has flaked.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

No enamel, no cementum either.  Sloth teeth do have an exterior layer of harder dentin, and that may be what has flaked.

Sloths do have an outer layer of cementum. I've attached a snip from "Paleobiology of Pleistocene ground sloths (Xenarthra, Tardigrada): biomechanics, morphogeometry and ecomorphology applied to the masticatory apparatus".

cementum.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Gorgeous Tooth.:wub:  I love sloth!!!  There are a couple of other question you might (and I always do) ask!!!  There are only a couple of sloth types hat you might find in the Cooper river.  The common ones are in the Megalonyx family (Megalonyx Jefersonii -- Jefferson's ground sloth) or maybe in the Mylodont family (Paramylodon Harlani - Harlan's ground sloth).  Both are possibilities and Caniniform or Molariform are designations plus you could discuss upper jaw or lower jaw and which side.

My initial guess is a Caniniform from a Megalonyx Jeffersonii, but I am likely to be corrected.  If I can match a photo, I will do so. @Harry Pristis @PrehistoricFlorida

EDIT Quickly back -- Here is a candidate DIFFERENT from the one I suggested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinobadistes. 2nd tooth from left. Jack

ThinobadistesMylodon2.JPG.17fd2a26cca13a91dfe2c65f8ea387e1.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow, a lot of great information guys!

Thank you very much!

I'm going to look closely at my collection now and see if I possibly have any other Sloth material.

Very nice find!

About the 'flaking' problem, with bits of it falling off, I had a very similar problem with one of my fossils. 

This fossil here, which remains one of my best personal finds, and one of my favorite fossils, is a nice woolly rhino lower molar. I found it on the Zandmotor (Netherlands), and it's from the Pleistocene. Anyways, I put it in a tub for a few hours in order to desalinate it (salt is quite dangerous for fossil bones, it can split the bones). Here is what I saw after leaving the fossil in the tub for only 20 hours, and it had already started to release crumbs before. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e0cb1f95ebef48d33e937d24e33d2efc.jpeg.dfc72b88bd2d8f9ce15c02dff7284895.jpeg

But after some time, the erosion stopped, and now it looks just fine:

5962817408d57_IMG_0395(2).thumb.JPG.088c6370dd208961653071030a0d2976.JPG

I have good hopes that your fossil will still keep most of its beauty, so no need to worry.

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thanks Max-fossils.

I always de-salinate anything and everything I recover from brackish or salt water.  I found this tooth in April, and I'm just now gonna let it dry.   I'll for sure consolidate it, once it's well dried.

Excellent sloth tooth,congrats :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

15 hours ago, Fossiljones said:

Thanks Max-fossils.

I always de-salinate anything and everything I recover from brackish or salt water.  I found this tooth in April, and I'm just now gonna let it dry.   I'll for sure consolidate it, once it's well dried.

Good to know :)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils