Removal of outer layer/polishing Ammonites

Crann

Hi, couple of Ammonites that have a thin layer still, lovely colours underneath that I would like to get down to, what's the best method you guys/gals think to get the best finish ? Thanks.

20170708_191858.jpg

I agree. Find someone who has an air abrader or better yet, get one yourself. Of course you'll need a compressor to run it. Sanding and polishing is not good in my opinion, since you'll lose the lovely sculpture in the process.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

32 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I agree. Find someone who has an air abrader or better yet, get one yourself. Of course you'll need a compressor to run it. Sanding and polishing is not good in my opinion, since you'll lose the lovely sculpture in the process.

Hi, I have a compressor as I'm currently prepping, will look into an air abrader I think, cheers.

Just do a search on "dispensing needle" I did a bunch of posts back in about 2012

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/9/2017 at 0:39 PM, RJB said:

Would love to see some 'finished' pictures when your done.

RB

Can you tell me what I would need to start this ? Seen some abraders on eBay, how do they work ? Thanks 

Not sure you want to clean that up with an air abrader?  Maybe very carefully with an airscribe.

RB