Miocene_Mason

I got to hunt on the trilobite ridge for a very short time, thanks to @GordonC for letting me know it existed and Jeff from this site for the directions and other tips. I had a very short time to hunt, but it was productive. I've got lot of spiriferids and other goodies, but best of all the first thing I saw, as if placed by divine intervention, a trilobite pygidium! This is the first real trilo I've found, although I find an extremely small piece of one in Maryland, so this is why I'm very excited even for a fragment. Any one know the species? I know it could do with some prep, but it's to delicate for me to attempt. If any pros want to prep it for me extremely cheaply, pm me. I can get more pictures if needed.

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Trilobite Ridge, I believe, is Lower Devonian - so not Mahantango Formation.

Possibly Phalangocephalus dentatus , Glenerie/Port Jervis Formation, Tristates Group.

IMG_2058.JPG.4a4e8a64107d8da9d4f496fad90c1845.JPG 

IMG_2057.JPG.875de8d688974459140729797583196d.JPG 

IMG_2059.JPG.25b60d7a900ad80a65f77c65d643ae8c.JPG

That looks like it won' t prep out much. :unsure: 

See JeffreyP's Lower Devonian gallery for comparison.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I got to hunt on the trilobite ridge for a very short time, thanks to @GordonC for letting me know it existed and Jeff from this site for the directions and other tips. I had a very short time to hunt, but it was productive. I've got lot of spiriferids and other goodies, but best of all the first thing I saw, as if placed by divine intervention, a trilobite pygidium! This is the first real trilo I've found, although I find an extremely small piece of one in Maryland, so this is why I'm very excited even for a fragment. Any one know the species? I know it could do with some prep, but it's to delicate for me to attempt. If any pros want to prep it for me extremely cheaply, pm me. I can get more pictures if needed.

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

Even a fragment is pretty good for Maryland! Mind posting a picture of it?

Don't know much about Trilobite Ridge, but I believe that it is stratigraphically equivalent (more or less) to the Oriskany Sandstone in Maryland. Dalmanites sp. is a fairly common genus in that, as are species of Phacops. Fossildude probably knows more though, as well as @piranha.

11 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Trilobite Ridge, I believe, is Lower Devonian - so not Mahantango Formation.

Possibly Phalangocephalus dentatus , Glenerie/Port Jervis Formation, Tristates Group.

IMG_2058.JPG.4a4e8a64107d8da9d4f496fad90c1845.JPG 

IMG_2057.JPG.875de8d688974459140729797583196d.JPG 

IMG_2059.JPG.25b60d7a900ad80a65f77c65d643ae8c.JPG

That looks like it won' t prep out much. :unsure: 

See JeffreyP's Lower Devonian gallery for comparison.

Thanks for the information, I assumed mahantango because that was near and I had no knowledge of the formation. I agree with Phalangocephalus dentatus, is this a common find? As for the prepping, I might be able to get some off some of the rock myself.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The axis of Phalangocephalus dentatus is much too narrow.  A better match is the Lower Devonian homalonotid: Trimerus vanuxemi

IMG.jpg.1ff009cc1bf6f3c82b05679be52e6c40.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

2 minutes ago, EMP said:

I have it on my gallery, as well as a post somewhere. I thought that you may have replied to it? I'm not sure though, it was a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is on my gallery: 

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 minutes ago, piranha said:

The axis of Phalangocephalus dentatus is much too narrow.  A better match is the Lower Devonian homalonotid: Trimerus vanuxemi

IMG.jpg.1ff009cc1bf6f3c82b05679be52e6c40.jpg

Excuse my lack of proper terminology, but in mine this part looks steeper and and the edges look "spinier". Is this just how it's worn, or intraspecies variation?

IMG_2062.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

26 minutes ago, EMP said:

Don't know much about Trilobite Ridge, but I believe that it is stratigraphically equivalent (more or less) to the Oriskany Sandstone in Maryland. Dalmanites sp. is a fairly common genus in that, as are species of Phacops. Fossildude probably knows more though, as well as @piranha.

Here's the thread! It was actually never fully resolved, although it looked closest to elderegeops to me although your ID was devonochonetes and spiny urchin as well as rugose coral.

Happy hunting,

Mason

50 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

...I agree with Phalangocephalus dentatus, is this a common find?...

I find it odd that you agreed so quickly on Phalangocephalus dentatus.  

For the record, here is the pygidium of Phalangocephalus dentatus.

IMG.jpg.8772dcb96b28f4a6e18b675086c41888.jpg

31 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Excuse my lack of proper terminology, but in mine this part looks steeper and and the edges look "spinier". Is this just how it's worn, or intraspecies variation?

But for my ID... suddenly a detailed explanation is required! LOL :P

Your specimen is flattened giving a different perspective. This example of Trimerus matches better with the one you found.

IMG.jpg.e23a976e76925d78d71fa8dfe8a5aaf6.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

2 minutes ago, piranha said:

I find it odd that you agreed so quickly on Phalangocephalus dentatus.  

For the record, here is the pygidium of Phalangocephalus dentatus.

IMG.jpg.8772dcb96b28f4a6e18b675086c41888.jpg

But for my ID... suddenly a detailed explanation is required! LOL :P

Your specimen is flattened giving a different perspective. This example of Trimerus matches better with the one you found.

IMG.jpg.e23a976e76925d78d71fa8dfe8a5aaf6.jpg

Sorry, I didn't mean to be biased, I just thought it looked close. Given this picture though, that looks a lot closer. Thanks for the ID, Its much appreciated:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived