Weird "7" shaped fossil

Miocene_Mason

Here's another fossil from Carbondale, shaped like a check, or an L or a 7. Two in fact, I split the rock and it's inside it as well, so its thick. Any ideas?

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Agreed.

I was considering tool marks, but the layering sort of rules that out.

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Separate leaf imprints crossing each other. The "L" is pure coincidence.

Twice? There's another L next to it. Nature always trying to mess me up. Any ideas on taxon? I'm new to this period so im not sure what diagnostic details are needed, but what's the highest classification possible?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yep twice. Mother nature does this....Lycopod leaves. Here's a sample I have from Alabama that showing a similar overlap....

5962267b353e9_LycopodleavesPottsvilleformationAlabama.thumb.jpg.338ac6703744ecefcd8c5cb77a8eca64.jpg

I dont have any 7's. 

Cool finds. 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2017 at 5:50 AM, Plantguy said:

Yep twice. Mother nature does this....Lycopod leaves. Here's a sample I have from Alabama that showing a similar overlap....

5962267b353e9_LycopodleavesPottsvilleformationAlabama.thumb.jpg.338ac6703744ecefcd8c5cb77a8eca64.jpg

I dont have any 7's. 

Cool finds. 

Regards, Chris 

No, but it does look like Zorro left his mark on yours :)