Unknown fossil found in Eastern Idaho

autobots

Good Evening!

Would anyone by chance know how to identify this fossil?  I found it interesting because of the "branches" coming out in a circular pattern.  And at the center it appears to have some form of crystal that developed.  The location of this fossil is Island Park, Eastern Idaho, in a boulder field on the south eastern side of the base of Mount Jefferson.  If you have any questions or need more information, please let me know

Any comments are greatly appreciated, thank you!

DSC_5664.JPG

Weird piece, looking at a geologic map, I think the sediment is tertiary, but you should take a look as well. The center has crystals growing in it as most hollow stone spaces will, but the pattern is strange, I'm gonna guess either plant matter, or mineral psuedofossil. Others may have better ideas.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree, crinoid .

Can we see a picture of the other side?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It does appear to be an extraordinarily preserved crinoid. Although slightly out of focus I believe I can see pinnules preserved along some of the arms. A view of the other side would be useful.

Definitely crinoid. Question is which? It looks to me like a bit of work with the air abrader could bring out more detail and even perhaps a nice display piece.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I diagree. For me, more like a cross section through a sponge (most likely), coral, or algae.

I agree with the crinoid ID.  You can see that the arms are made of ossicles, and the arm in the 5:00 position shows clear pinnules.

Don

Cool piece.  I agree that it is a cross section thru a crinoid.  A number of the arms show pinnules.

Archived