Lost River - Spring 2017

opabinia

From my first true fossil excursion, Lost River WV. Most of the finds were shells and such, but a few anomalies turned up. So this is a part 'Fossil Hunting Trips' part 'Identify Help'.

Sorry for the long thread, but the file sizes are too large.

20170709_214637.thumb.jpg.4ee2813bb5dc209a1f23cb039ae7095d.jpg

(One of the weirdest and most diverse of all of the finds was this.) ID Help...

20170709_214644.thumb.jpg.5f108ddce64d74dde13b7e332670a02a.jpg

(These things were everywhere, but this was the most profound of them.)

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

"If It Can be Written or Thought, It can be Filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Cambrian and Quaternary

Maybe trace fossils, I find loads of them in the Hamilton group up in Maryland. Mineral staining around them is common.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

20170709_214653.thumb.jpg.9c01597dcc866c17c0a78ade7e0c3177.jpg

(ID - My first West Virginian trilobites.)

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

20170709_214725.thumb.jpg.45547282267e70e047289b50c6a0b2a2.jpg

(Another one of the slim worm looking things.)

20170709_214745.thumb.jpg.490466ac4bf4d2e22bde673dfbbc11de.jpg

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

20170709_214915.thumb.jpg.07032b50df0860aca798b50ad23f0e82.jpg

(And Finally this, which, even though impossible, reminds me heavily of an Anomalocaris appendage.)

Thanks, I'll be making a return the first of August for even more material.

PS - I forgot to state before that the material is Devonian...

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Maybe trace fossils, I find loads of them in the Hamilton group up in Maryland. Mineral staining around them is common.

I find that hard to believe simply because the features aren't concave. They are roundly formed and one of the specimens can be seen from the side to clearly have a spherical pattern such as that from the stem of a crinoid. But trace fossils were also my first thought when they were found.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

1 hour ago, opabinia said:

I find that hard to believe simply because the features aren't concave. They are roundly formed and one of the specimens can be seen from the side to clearly have a spherical pattern such as that from the stem of a crinoid. But trace fossils were also my first thought when they were found.

It's just a guess, but I still wouldn't rule out trace fossil, they are sometimes convex. Here is one from the mahantango I found that is convex (probably annelid)

IMG_2099.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 hours ago, opabinia said:

From my first true fossil excursion, Lost River WV. Most of the finds were shells and such, but a few anomalies turned up. So this is a part 'Fossil Hunting Trips' part 'Identify Help'.

Sorry for the long thread, but the file sizes are too large.

20170709_214637.thumb.jpg.4ee2813bb5dc209a1f23cb039ae7095d.jpg

(One of the weirdest and most diverse of all of the finds was this.) ID Help...

20170709_214644.thumb.jpg.5f108ddce64d74dde13b7e332670a02a.jpg

(These things were everywhere, but this was the most profound of them.)

20170709_214725.thumb.jpg.45547282267e70e047289b50c6a0b2a2.jpg

(Another one of the slim worm looking things.)

20170709_214745.thumb.jpg.490466ac4bf4d2e22bde673dfbbc11de.jpg

20170709_214915.thumb.jpg.07032b50df0860aca798b50ad23f0e82.jpg

(And Finally this, which, even though impossible, reminds me heavily of an Anomalocaris appendage.)

Thanks, I'll be making a return the first of August for even more material.

PS - I forgot to state before that the material is Devonian...

The first one, I'm afraid, is probably just mineral staining.

The second one looks like a worm burrow. Those are pretty common, but cool nonetheless.

Your trilobites are actually pretty cool! The top one is probably a Trimerus (Dipleura) sp. The bottom one (which has two on it?!) looks like Phacops rana.

Worm burrow.

I'd like a look at it from the side, since right now it could be a concretion, but then again could be a burrow depending on whether or not it has a tube shape to it.

Sorry, it looks like dendrites to me.

Nice finds though! Keep up the good work man.

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, EMP said:

The first one, I'm afraid, is probably just mineral staining.

The second one looks like a worm burrow. Those are pretty common, but cool nonetheless.

Your trilobites are actually pretty cool! The top one is probably a Trimerus (Dipleura) sp. The bottom one (which has two on it?!) looks like Phacops rana.

Worm burrow.

I'd like a look at it from the side, since right now it could be a concretion, but then again could be a burrow depending on whether or not it has a tube shape to it.

Sorry, it looks like dendrites to me.

Nice finds though! Keep up the good work man.

Thanks! There are actually three trilo's on the smaller rock, one's just a fragment of either the middle or back segment. Phacops/Eldredgeops rana. was also my thought, but the head is missing so I can't say for sure...

Any Dendrites slipped my mind during the dig, so that'll help me sort out LOTS of the minerals from fossils.

I'll PM you the sides of the oddity tomorrow evening. :)

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

On 7/9/2017 at 10:34 PM, opabinia said:

These appear to be Eldredgeops rana and I can say that with confidence as that region is known for them albeit they aren't as common as in other locations such as New York. I've always wanted to locate a complete E. rana in WV and I'm impressed you were able to find these. That first axial lobe up top looks impressive with a decent size. I've seen complete specimens from that location. They are not easy to find complete but can be found. Excellent work.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda