Please help me with this Keichou

magneteule

Hello community.

I would like to buy a Keichousaurus for a long time and I have now discovered an interesting offer. Unfortunately, I do not know if it is a fake, or whether it is a real fossil. Can you look at the pictures and give your opinion. That would really help me. Many Thanks

Screenshot_2017-07-10-12-27-14-1.png

Screenshot_2017-07-10-12-27-24-1.png

Screenshot_2017-07-10-12-27-31-1.png

Screenshot_2017-07-10-12-27-37-1.png

I like that the limbs are not splayed out perfectly. This adds to the pieces credibility in my eyes. It appears to be the rarer dorsal presentation, which is nice. If you can hold it in hand, a 10X power loupe will reveal any painted mischief. It is impossible to fully judge a piece not in hand, that being said, I like it. Good luck, have fun

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree with my friend steelhead9 who is real. I also agree with my friend snolly50, who to make sure if it really is authentic, only examining it in his own hand. But a little hunch is always welcome... :D For these photos I can say that your Keichousaurus is 100% real, but particularly I do not believe that this specimen has undergone any painting on any part of the body, otherwise the neck which is poorly preserved would have been painted as well.  I see natural breaks with calcite veins traversing the whole matrix, and in addition, there was no attempt to paint or attempt to restore the phalanges. In my opinion it is a 100% natural specimen, something rare to be seen these days, since almost everyone the specimens I see is always restored or painted in some way. Remains of pectorals and vertebra scattered across the matrix further contribute to authenticity. Part of the neck, phalanges and a good percentage of the pelvis are in poor condition, but I love it, because I get very suspicious when the fossil is too perfect. If the price is good, I would buy it without thinking twice!

01.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Thank you for your nice and fast answers, i really appreciate that. In order to have a closer look on it, i just bought it for what i think was a good price. 130$. Many thanks again.

1 hour ago, magneteule said:

Grazie per le vostre risposte belle e veloci, lo apprezzo molto. Per avere uno sguardo più attento, lo ho appena acquistato per quello che penso fosse un buon prezzo. 130 $. Molte grazie ancora.

OK OK Great price

13 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I like that the limbs are not splayed out perfectly. This adds to the pieces credibility in my eyes. It appears to be the rarer dorsal presentation, which is nice. If you can hold it in hand, a 10X power loupe will reveal any painted mischief. It is impossible to fully judge a piece not in hand, that being said, I like it. Good luck, have fun

i agree with snolly on everything except the position. This is a ventral position, hence the visible scapula and pelvis. The skull was prepped deeply to show the eye sockets from the underside, which could lead one to think the position is dorsal. I still suspect the front of the eye sockets and the very back of the mandibles are painted. Nice keich for the price.

43 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

i agree with snolly on everything except the position. This is a ventral position, hence the visible scapula and pelvis. The skull was prepped deeply to show the eye sockets from the underside, which could lead one to think the position is dorsal. I still suspect the front of the eye sockets and the very back of the mandibles are painted. Nice keich for the price.

Ahhh, you are correct I did base my assessment on the appearance of the critter's skull. This is an excellent lesson in the need to examine the gestalt and to avoid heuristic pitfalls in judgement. Thanks, this is one of the reasons I love this Forum.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Part of the skull may be retouched, perhaps inked. But I have also seen many Keichousaurus that had part of the expanded beak, which seemed painted or retouched, due to brutal preparation with rotating brush. This may be the case with this specimen as well.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived