Bone? Tooth? Post Oak Creek - Sherman, Texas

shel67

This one is baffling me.  I found it in Post Oak Creek, Sherman Texas. It's about 3/4 inches long and the top is somewhat bony, The triangular part is smooth with a glossy white coating. 

IMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

The coating is enamel, it's a tooth, can't tell you what though, I'll leave it to the experts...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That's what's confusing me. It does look like bone at the top, but there's a very hard milky enamel-like substance on the lower portion. 

1 minute ago, shel67 said:

That's what's confusing me. It does look like bone at the top, but there's a very hard milky enamel-like substance on the lower portion. 

Could the top be the root?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 minutes ago, shel67 said:

there's a very hard milky enamel-like substance on the lower portion. 

That part could be the bone outer surface or a mineral deposit on the piece.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Could the top be the root?

When I first found it that's what I thought, that the top part was just a short root like a canine or bear tooth maybe. TheI'm in no way an expert on this stuff...only guessing. ;) 

24 minutes ago, StevenJDennis said:

looks like a worn shark tooth. 

Its a little thick though, unless maybe it's a type of shark I've never heard of...

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 minutes ago, StevenJDennis said:

yeah the root looks thick...maybe cretodus?

I agree, here's a similar specimen I found online. It matches with the thickness and pyramid like shape.:

IMG_2130.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I agree, here's a similar specimen I found online. It matches with the thickness and pyramid like shape.:

IMG_2130.JPG

Awesome! Yes!!! Thank you! Yours is great!!! ;) This was a big help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neighbor ~ fabulous find!  And in a creek no less.  Wonders abound, don't they?  Thanks for sharing!!

Archived