North Sulphur River finds

Benjaminpb

I visited the North Sulphur River for the first time this past Saturday. These are some of my finds.

im pretty sure that I know what some of them are but not 100% on any of them. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

1 mosasaur vert.(?)

2 borrow cast.

3 ?

4 & 5 cow teeth

6 bone fragment

7 calcite

8 & 9 ? 

10 brachiopod (?)

11 ammonite

12 bone fragment?

13 snail

14 & 15 rock?

16 ammonite 

17 bone?

18 rock.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 looks like a piece of fish - scales. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Dear Benjaminbp, 

I work as a vertebrate paleontologist, so I'm not of much help identifying your invertebrate fossils, but I can give a couple identifications for one of the partial bones and the tooth you found. The Ozan Formation of the Late Cretaceous is likely the origin of many of your fossils, including number one and most certainly number nine. The Ozan Formation preserves a marine ecosystem filled with mosasaurs, to which number 1 and number 9 of your finds likely correspond. Though the genus Tylosaurus is present within the unit (i.e., the very pretty Heath Mosasaur specimen), the genus Platecarpus is more fitting in size for both the tooth and vertebral centrum you discovered. However, as these specimens cannot be scientifically referred to either of these genera (they are too incomplete and eroded to bear any autopomorphies), Mosasauria indet. would be the best label for both of them. They are nevertheless excellent finds for any collector, representing just little glimpses of the skeletons of these massive prehistoric aquatic squamates. I encourage you to continue collecting and recording precise locational data (e.g., geocoordinates, description of sediment from which specimens were recovered) on the fossils you find. If, in the future, you decide to donate specimens to a museum or other institution, such data would be very scientifically valuable for them to have.

Additionally, 14 and 15 are just concretions. Number 12 is a splinter of bone from some indeterminate vertebrate. Number 17 may be one of several things. Without close-up images no good identification can be made unfortunately. I agree with the other identifications above for all other specimens. 

Best regards,

Chase 

• I found this Informative 3

Nice assortment. I believe 7 is a rudist clam and 3 is a broken piece of some other clam. It's unlikely 10 is a brachiopod, I don't know of any found there. The snail 13 is Gyrodes major.

Thank you guys so much for your input!

I'd like to learn as much as I can about my finds.

Please let me know which number/numbers you'd like more pictures of in order to better identify. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Benjaminpb said:

let me know which number/numbers you'd like more pictures of in order to better identify.

Number 10, please.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 7/10/2017 at 5:49 PM, ynot said:

Looks like a tooth, but Your thumb is blocking the view.

On 7/10/2017 at 5:54 PM, Benjaminpb said:

Sorry

IMG_3844.JPG

Mosasaur tooth. Nice find. 

On 7/10/2017 at 5:30 PM, Benjaminpb said:

I visited the North Sulphur River for the first time this past Saturday. These are some of my finds.

im pretty sure that I know what some of them are but not 100% on any of them. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

Mosasaur tooth, Mosasaur vert, fish scale, gastropod and rudists all in your first trip. You did well. Congrats. 

• 2 weeks later...