Fossil-Hound

I was debating posting this under the Ohio fossil discussion but am passing through Ohio on my way out to Utah and wanted to know if anyone knows of any good spots to go to. I hear that there's a fossil park in Paulding with the famous Silica Shale trilobite layers. I have all the tools in the car and my wife said I could go out for about two hours tomorrow though it might be one with a cat and newborn.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I suppose I'll answer my own question. From some TFF research there appears to be a Fossil Park near Sylvania and Toledo. I'll try my hand at that site for an hour tomorrow. Here's an excellent post:

What is funny is that I used to live in Sandusky within less than an hour from this site. To bad I wasn't into fossils back then.

I am originally from Ohio and get back to visit friends and relatives frequently and have experienced both sites.  Paulding is 10x better than the Sylvania Fossil Park unless you have children. The Paulding site is easy to collect at and if you are short on time, it makes a great stopping point.

Happy Hunting

Mike

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

I am originally from Ohio and get back to visit friends and relatives frequently and have experienced both sites.  Paulding is 10x better than the Sylvania Fossil Park unless you have children. The Paulding site is easy to collect at and if you are short on time, it makes a great stopping point.

Happy Hunting

Mike

Mike,

from everything I've read it seems like the Paulding location gets way less foot traffic as it is more remote and there appears to be some good rollers coming out of the location. The name of the site is the "Paulding County Community Fossil Garden." Hopefully the weather holds up and the missus says I only have one hour to find the mega E. rana so I'll probably be ignoring most of the brachiopods, bryozoans, and corals unless they are really nice. This will be surface collecting as I don't believe tools are allowed.