Ordovician mystery piece. Help, please

fossilized6s

Found this piece in Iowa yesterday while hunting trilobites. I've never seen anything like it. The six point symmetry with it's bulbous tips are very strange. And the fact that it is very water-worn doesn't help with an ID. I'm thinking holdfast or possibe starfish. 

What do you guys see? 

Scale in mm/cm

20170710_192342.jpg

20170710_192026.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I could see trace or very very worn and broken starfish, although I'm not ruling out holdfast either. Now that I think about it, I'm really not that helpful. Hmmm...maybe the experts can help.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I don't think it's a trace fossil because of it's different preservation from the matrix. But that being said i still don't have a 100% ID, so i'm open minded. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Reminds me of Asterosoma.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, fossilized6s said:

don't think it's a trace fossil because of it's different preservation from the matrix

With you completely on that. That one end in particular is too tube like for this taxa at least. 

Hexactinellid ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

6 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Hexactinellid ?

I think I do have a faint memory of something like this being called a sponge one time.

It's close to some types of Brooksella which has more than one mode of origin I think, depending on where it's from.

Tarquin

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I appreicate it and have looked into all of them. I now am thinking sponge or trace fossil, but i still can't find a 100% match. 

If anyone else has any thoughts I'm open to suggestions. 

~Charlie~

Archived