Pleurodictyum styloporum and Rugos coral - verify please

Rocky Stoner

New finds in the "extended" berry patch.

This is the best example I have so far of the Pleurodictyum styloporum coral.

Comparing with this link:  http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/2010/05/i-thought-id-start-my-blog-with-post-on.html

and previous post id's.

These were right at the surface under 3" of topsoil.

The link does not list the rugos coral, which I've seen illustrated elsewhere.

Please help verify that what I have here is the rugos.

Thanks again.

IMG_9793.JPG

IMG_9795.JPG

.......more.....

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG

Nice finds.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I believe those are rugose corals, as for the others I have no idea if it's correct or not.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very cool find! The rugose coral might be Stereolasma sp., by what I've read it seems to be one of the more common rugosans in the formation.

Thanks for that name, Hapchazzard. It led a search in the right direction.

http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/2014/02/platyostoma-gastropod-and-stereolasma.html

Found the rugos listed along with a snail, but not in the index.

Interesting, it is listed as rare in the mahantango. I have found quite a bit of it here.

Thanks again.

Sorry, I've confused Stereolasma with another rugose coral, Heterophrentis. While it might still be a StereolasmaHeterophrentis is the rugose coral that is the most common in the formation(the literature I've read usually cites it as the only rugose coral in the formation).

2 hours ago, Hapchazzard said:

Sorry, I've confused Stereolasma with another rugose coral, Heterophrentis. While it might still be a StereolasmaHeterophrentis is the rugose coral that is the most common in the formation(the literature I've read usually cites it as the only rugose coral in the formation).

The more I search, the more confused I get. The ones I have here look more like Heliophyllum or Zaphrentis than any others I see.

I will get better pics tomorrow.

Thank you again.

Hmmm... All I can say is that 2. and 4. look like rugose coral impressions(the coral itself has disintegrated), but you probably already know that. Unfortunately, I really can't say for certain what genus it could be, apart from the one I've already mentioned is common in the Mahantango. You're either going to need someone far more versed in Rugose corals, or a book on the local coral genera(which do exist, but need to be purchased).

Archived