Brechin, Ontario with Malcolm and the New York Paleontological Society

Jeffrey P

The weekend of June 24th and 25th I participated in an outing with the New York Paleontological Society led by my friend, Ray McKinney to Brechin, Ontario. TFF Member Malcolm led our group into the James Dick quarry where both Bobycaygeon and Verulam Formations are exposed. These are Middle Ordovician from the Trenton Group and contain a wide variety of invertebrate fossil fauna. Also met other TFF members Kevin (Northern Sharks) and Joe (crinus). Most of the quarry is the Bobycaygeon and the very top is the Verulam- only accessible near the entrance, but I got some excellent well preserved matrix plates from there. I spent the second day combing the spoil piles. This first picture is Lake Simco by Beaverton where we stayed.

IMG_5637.JPG

Malcolm in the middle, explaining the quarry geology to NY Paleontological Society members.

IMG_5644.JPG

A large Isotelus pygidium found by a New York paleontological Society member on the second day.

IMG_5652.JPG

Now for a sample of my finds: Gastropods

image1 (76).JPG

Crinoid stem pieces and matrix crowded with brachiopods: 

image1 (77).JPG

image1_(79).JPG

Wow! Looks like a well attended trip!

Great finds, and wonderful weather! 

The stuff dreams are made of. :) 

Thanks for the report, Jeff. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wow! Looks like a well attended trip!

Great finds, and wonderful weather! 

The stuff dreams are made of. :) 

Thanks for the report, Jeff. 

Thanks Tim. Oh, I forgot to mention the severe thunderstorms that hit us in the afternoon of the second day. But otherwise, a great trip.

Looks like a great trip Jeff! Nice finds! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It was nice to, albeit very briefly, meet you too Jeffrey. I have one correction to make to your opening post though; most of the quarry is Verulam fm. with the bottom level going a few feet into the Bobcaygeon. That "pond" at the bottom is all Bobcaygeon and was fairly fresh, hence all the attention it got. Once I left the bottom level, I went to an old area one level up and found a nice slab with half a dozen edrioasteroids on it and another piece covered with Rafinesquina brachs.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

3 minutes ago, Northern Sharks said:

It was nice to, albeit very briefly, meet you too Jeffrey. I have one correction to make to your opening post though; most of the quarry is Verulam fm. with the bottom level going a few feet into the Bobcaygeon. That "pond" at the bottom is all Bobcaygeon and was fairly fresh, hence all the attention it got. Once I left the bottom level, I went to an old area one level up and found a nice slab with half a dozen edrioasteroids on it and another piece covered with Rafinesquina brachs.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the correction. It was great finally meeting you. Glad you found some good stuff that day as well. Feel free to add it to the thread if you feel so inclined.

Great report and great pictures...........It was great to meet all of you.  I found some very nice material that weekend. I have started to prep some of it , I will try to post some pictures in this thread.

As Kevin indicated you got the formations a bit mixed up the It is Veralum until just under the quarry floor at the very bottom. Then it is the top of the BobCaygeon

I found a very nice ceraurus, a flexi, some pleurocystites, and some crinoid calyx's as well as a cyclocystoid. 

The thunderstorm and hail at the end of the day was brutal........

great stuff and report! Do you think any of the Isotelus (the prone one) cephalon will be there?

Very nice finds and pictures !

Thanks for posting :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Thanks for the report, Jeffrey. Imagine! I missed you guys by just a week. Sure would have been nice to catch up to you again. Anyways, looks like you had some fun, despite the drenching.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Excellent finds Jeff! I'm super jealous I couldn't go! :envy:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Archived