Fossilized Egg? Western Nebraska

Fez

First post on the forum but figured this would be the best place to get some information. I found this "rock" yesterday while checking a bean field near Scottsbluff, NE. I'm an agronomist so I spend all summer wandering around in cultivated fields and this is the first "rock" of this nature I have found (lots of fossils in the area but usually just toe bones, vertebrae, etc...) Upon inspection it appeared much different than anything I've ever found. Unfortunately it looks to hat been hit with various farm implements over the year which has left some chunks missing. After researching online, I concluded that it may be a fossilized egg of some sort due to the shape and the cracking pattern. What do the "experts" think?

rock2.jpg

Another image

rock1.jpg

I might go to scottsbluff for the eclipse, it hurts me though as it's chock full of fossils, but you aren't allowed to collect any.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

Just F.Y.I....this is what one of the 'famed' fossilized bird eggs from the White River Badlands of northwestern Nebraska/southwestern South Dakota looks like.  Notice the texture of the egg shell (a larger version is available in my gallery).

gallery_330_105_75362.jpg

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Archived