More fossil? Bivalves from Milnerton

Max-fossils

Hi all,

I found those bivalves on Milnerton beach (Cape Town, South Africa). The beach is known to have fossil shark teeth and whale bones, but I don't know if they have fossil seashells. They do have modern ones. Those shells, because of many different features, do make me think that they are fossil. Anyways, I'm interested in 2, if not 3 things:

• Species

• Fossil or modern 

• (if fossil) how old

If this species is (locally) extinct, then I think I can quite confidently put them down as fossil, but otherwise I'm not sure. The things that make me think that they are fossil are:

• they are very thick

• they are dull 

• they feel very hard (a lot like stone)

Those features are applicable with shells found on the Zandmotor (NL), to see if they are modern or fossil; whether they are applicable in Cape Town I have no clue.

Thanks in advance,

Max

(PS to mods: this may seem like a duplicate copy of a previous topic I posted, but this one is for different fossils; the text applies to both cases)

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 1 year later...

The fossilized bi-valves I have found at Milnerton beach are mostly in matrix and black in color. They are actually plentiful and I usually pick up about 10 per walk.