North Sulphur River find Strange layered half cylinder ID???

shel67

I found this in a dry rocky area of the North Sulphur River of Ladonia, Texas.  Appears to be a half section of a layered cylinder of some sort compressed together. Any ideas? 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Very tricky, in my opinion. The variants to chose could be:  geological (Gypsum layers), inoceramid, Trichites, stromatoporoid, chaetetid sponge. A magnified image of the outer surface might help, I think.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Dear @shel67

I'd concur with the others in identifying that fossil as a fragment of rudist shell. Congratulations on your find!

Regards, 

Chase

Partial rudists are rather plentiful at the NSR.  Playing percentages, that's a good guess.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I don't think it's rudist.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 7/11/2017 at 4:29 PM, abyssunder said:

Very tricky, in my opinion. The variants to chose could be:  geological (Gypsum layers), inoceramid, Trichites, stromatoporoid, chaetetid sponge. A magnified image of the outer surface might help, I think.

If it were gypsum it should be easy to tell.  Gypsum is very soft, it is the holotype mineral representing a mohs hardness of 2.  Try scratching it with a steel pocketknife.  If you can make an obvious scratch then it is soft and could be gypsum.  If not, it is a much harder material and might be a fossil.  There is a whole topic on rudists here on this forum with plenty of pictures here: Rudists.  Might want to compare yours with the posted pictures.

• I found this Informative 1

57 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

If it were gypsum it should be easy to tell.  Gypsum is very soft, it is the holotype mineral representing a mohs hardness of 2.  Try scratching it with a steel pocketknife.  If you can make an obvious scratch then it is soft and could be gypsum.  If not, it is a much harder material and might be a fossil.  There is a whole topic on rudists here on this forum with plenty of pictures here: Rudists.  Might want to compare yours with the posted pictures.

After looking at the photos of the Rudists, mine do favor the Hippurites???  Small pieces of course. These pieces were found along with the one I posted above. 

IMG_3329.JPG

Try to compare with these:

Banded_Satin_Spar_Gypsum__TN_1A.JPG.1fd8e7589246e35a9d8899b04afdda61.JPGSatin_Spar.jpg.c9ae86926b6752b46b8da24c5cd027f8.jpgSatin_Spar_2.jpg.619c1ac27b1d72f69848afd5c94919e5.jpg

pictures from here

• I found this Informative 2

Thomas Mann

My Library

That's also a good possibility among the others , possibility which I excluded initially considering the multi-layered pattern and the dimensions. Seeing the picture below which reveals the contorted calcite layers of the hinge plate in Actinoceramus concentricus, I agree, it could be a potential candidate, although the scale is different, but inoceramids grew to giant size.

9a.jpg.6d10e1b1df7640f9b946fa75626f0fd0.jpg

9, left valve with the synsecretionary contortions that occur in all shell layers at the umbonal end of the hinge plate; X13

excerpt from R. I. Knight, N. J. Morris. 2009. A reconsideration of the origins of the ‘typical’ Cretaceous inoceramid calcitic hinge plate in the light of new ultrastructural observations from some Jurassic 'inoceramids'. Palaeontology, Vol. 52, Part 5, pp. 963–989

I'm wondering why the specimens from the second picture of the O.P. resemble the fibrous satin spar.

satinspar004_01.jpg.9adf86a92c4b1a3ce85aada4189c4b61.jpg

picture from here

Thomas Mann

My Library

Erose is right. Inoceramids  are even more common that rudist clams in the north Sulfur., and abyssunder is also right. They can be very large there.

• 5 months later...