Camptostroma in the Mail

JUAN EMMANUEL

So excited when this echinoderm I bought online arrived today! It is Camptostroma roddyi specimen from a private property at Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, from the Kinzer Formation. I dont know much about this enigmatic Cambrian echinoderm nor the formation it came from but I cant wait to add this to my small collection of echinoderms. 

IMG_3047.thumb.JPG.936604f17541cf4b82a960fc85381726.JPG

IMG_3049.thumb.JPG.813edc2e57ccdf4f54e987615ba32895.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Publications that might be of interest.

Wilbur, B.C., 2005. A revision of helicoplacoids and other early Cambrian

echinoderms of North America, Doctoral dissertation, The University of Texas at Austin

https://www.lib.utexas.edu/etd/d/2005/wilburb11838/wilburb11838.pdf

https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/handle/2152/3994

Skinner, E.S., 2005. Taphonomy and depositional circumstances of

exceptionally preserved fossils from the Kinzers Formation (Cambrian),

southeastern Pennsylvania. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology,

Palaeoecology, 220(1), pp.167-192.

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/rws_etd/document/get/osu1090592371/inline

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/pg_10?0::NO:10:P10_ETD_SUBID:63198

Kauffman, M.E., 1999. Eocambrian, Cambrian, and transition to

Ordovician. The geology of Pennsylvania. Special Publication of

the Geological Survey of Pennsylvania. Harrisburg, Pensylvania, pp.59-73.

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0933/ML093340293.pdf

Yours,

Paul H.

• I found this Informative 2

Neat acquisition. :)

Never had heard of it before - thanks for teaching me something new. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good snag, I've hunted once in the kinzer and fossils are not common, so it's definitely a worthy piece for any collection.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Good snag, I've hunted once in the kinzer and fossils are not common, so it's definitely a worthy piece for any collection.

I never knew these were that rare. Did you find any Camptostromas?

1 minute ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

I never knew these were that rare. Did you find any Camptostromas?

It's questionable, I may have found one, but mineral percipitates make it hard to tell. To give you some perspective, I hunted for three hours and came up with a sponge piece, one possible campostroma, and one worm burrow. It's my understanding that camptostromas are relatively common (more common than the trilobites) but relatively common is rare in my opinion. Yours is definitely real, and almost complete.

Here's a picture, it is the porous orange material, it's fragmentary if it is one.

IMG_2151.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

It's questionable, I may have found one, but mineral percipitates make it hard to tell. To give you some perspective, I hunted for three hours and came up with a sponge piece, one possible campostroma, and one worm burrow. It's my understanding that camptostromas are relatively common (more common than the trilobites) but relatively common is rare in my opinion. Yours is definitely real, and almost complete.

Wow that's nice to know. Thanks for sharing that information!

Just now, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Wow that's nice to know. Thanks for sharing that information!

No problem, always happy to be able to help!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice score! I missed that one. Have seen them occasionally, but never at the right price.

Wow!   Not having a clue to what those are i would have walked right over that or tossed it aside.  Again, ya learn something new everyday.  Nice find!

RB