Trace Fossil in Amber with claw stuck inside.

kakoraptor

Maybe better lighting may help my plead this is a footprint with indeed a claw stuck.
I can see the claw clear as day and I've done my best to get the above post pics of this claw.  Its very smooth looking- and its angle and curve leading to a sharp tip. A tip of a claw.
and what matches this- is the other toes (the other 2) you can see in the amber/agate where the OTHER claws dug in this goop- they just didn't get stuck.

I wish I could get a better quality pic of the imprints texture- er its fingerprint-padding textutre it has in the print its self. So as what I set out to attempt with this follow up post is try and use different lighting. 

I gotta ask- IF this is what I think I've found- a footprint in some sort of amber/agate with a claw stuck inside as well-  whats the big deal? Is it worth money or is it some sort of find?
(not that I'd ever sell this beauty- I'm a young dino nut and lets just say no amount of cash can replace this- but I'd sorta like to know if my first [POSSIBLE] find is a rare / or common find for possible bragging right : p.)

19059100_1356592151062120_7514112173764629113_n.jpg

19894658_1356592117728790_5193788273197904676_n.jpg

19894749_1356592114395457_2653533741466899368_n.jpg

19904992_1356592161062119_8696186153616468980_n.jpg

19961195_1356592141062121_6970385180266065089_n.jpg

19961270_1356592171062118_5517060888637699823_n.jpg

19961422_1355482274506441_1893023064940665994_n.jpg

Please take it somewhere to have it looked at. 

Your pictures are not good enough to show what you are seeing. :( 

This is something that will have to be seen, in hand, to get any kind of helpful feedback. ;) 

I edited one of your images - I see the texture you are calling "Fingerprint texture", but to me, it looks like conchoidal fractures and hackle fringe marks.

(Which would be indicative of agate.) 

19959119_1355486081172727_1865962237703184620_n.jpg.5aecadeb1d1f7816a254ce9da0394d3a.jpg 

joint_ornamentation1321404084925.jpg

I don't think any more pictures will change anyone's mind here. :unsure: 

Please let us know if you find out anything more from a professional. :) 

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

10 hours ago, kakoraptor said:

Maybe better lighting may help my plead this is a footprint with indeed a claw stuck.
I can see the claw clear as day and I've done my best to get the above post pics of this claw.  Its very smooth looking- and its angle and curve leading to a sharp tip. A tip of a claw.
and what matches this- is the other toes (the other 2) you can see in the amber/agate where the OTHER claws dug in this goop- they just didn't get stuck.

I wish I could get a better quality pic of the imprints texture- er its fingerprint-padding textutre it has in the print its self. So as what I set out to attempt with this follow up post is try and use different lighting. 

I gotta ask- IF this is what I think I've found- a footprint in some sort of amber/agate with a claw stuck inside as well-  whats the big deal? Is it worth money or is it some sort of find?
(not that I'd ever sell this beauty- I'm a young dino nut and lets just say no amount of cash can replace this- but I'd sorta like to know if my first [POSSIBLE] find is a rare / or common find for possible bragging right : p.)

Looks very similar to agates I have seen that were collected in Oregon.  (There is even a beach called Agate Beach near Newport.). The easiest way to determine whether it is agate or amber or something else is to measure its specific gravity.  Amber has a very low specific gravity of about 1.05. Agate has a specific gravity of 2.65, as it is a form of quartz.  Do an Internet search on how to measure specific gravity, it's pretty easy.

1 hour ago, kakoraptor said:

IF this is what I think I've found- a footprint in some sort of amber/agate with a claw stuck inside as well-  whats the big deal?

It is not a footprint it is not amber there is no claw and it has no monetary value at all.

The "big deal" is in Your imagination, not in what We are telling You.

You asked Us to identify it for You and You have denied and ignored all that We have said.

You have a piece of agate with typical fracture patterns, nothing more - nothing less.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, kakoraptor said:

Please understand that if it is agate, it will not have a fossil.  Agate is formed as a secondary deposition within a host rock, typically of volcanic origin.  What you think is a claw is probably a piece of the host rock around which the agate has formed.  Here is a link to one web page that describes how agate is formed: link.  But we can't tell for sure from your photos whether this is indeed agate.  You need to take it to an expert or try to measure its specific gravity.

• I found this Informative 2

You didn't answer the fundamental question to make the difference between the amber and the agate : can your sample be scratched with a knife ? If yes, " that can " to be of the amber, if not, it is impossible whether it is of the amber.

And if you decided that you have an imprint with a claw, doesn't ask the opinion to all these experts of this forum !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

So the piece of lets call it rock is just happendly shapened into what appears as a smooth rather sharp claw? 

56 minutes ago, kakoraptor said:

So the piece of lets call it rock is just happendly shapened into what appears as a smooth rather sharp claw? 

OK, we are not going to get any further along on this just by looking at pictures.  Like all good scientists, we need data.  So here is your assignment, don't come back until you have completed it and can report your findings:

1. Try to scratch it with a knife.  Tell us whether you can scratch into it with any depth or whether any scratch mark is just superficial.

2. (Optional, but highly recommended): measure its specific gravity.  It looks like it is fairly large, so here's a link to a process that should work: Specific Gravity Link .  Tell us what number you come up with.

After we know these answers we will be able to help you more.  Also, you need to understand that beach agates are very common in Oregon.  Just do a Google search on "Oregon agates" and you will find many links.  Here's a photo I pulled off the internet that shows what typical beach agates look like.  To me, they look very similar to your specimen.  But again, we need data, so please do some homework and report back!

5967a46fc4ae4_OregonAgates.jpg.7fbfe77baca0fb24ac4b96fa55826c27.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I collect agates from the Oregon coast all the time that look just like it.  That's my vote.

On 7/12/2017 at 7:02 PM, ynot said:

It is not a footprint it is not amber there is no claw and it has no monetary value at all.

The "big deal" is in Your imagination, not in what We are telling You.

You asked Us to identify it for You and You have denied and ignored all that We have said.

You have a piece of agate with typical fracture patterns, nothing more - nothing less.

Look you your self haven't physically held it in your hand and examined it. BUT 

At the same time- I made it clear DO I KNOW WHAT IT IS? No. So if you mistake me saying words like footprint  trace fossil  amber agate clawfossil its not me declaring it must be. 

I know i lack the confident ability to identify the above terms. But you sitting there and declaring IT IS NOT IT IT IS NOT THIS IT IS NOT THAT with clear knowledge you have not physically examined it  yourself is kinda rude. 

All I asked was > IF IT <  IS A FOOTPRINT WITH A CLAW stuck in some sort of agate or whatever its on and in- what does that mean? Rarity wise and worth wise. 

If its stll nothing special then whatever its special to me. 

Sorry if I came off like I was declaring what it is- I myself have none to any knowledge nor experience to back up that sort of claim. I can be naive but not arrogant.

Also no the rock doesn't scratch when cut. And next im doing the suggested finding its gravity.

you your self haven't physically held it in your hand and examined it.

No I haven't, but I have seen hundreds of thousands of pieces of agate during My 58 years of collecting rock and can tell agate when I see it. As can the others that have told You the same thing here.

I also know that amber has not been found in Oregon.

made it clear DO I KNOW WHAT IT IS?

Yet You keep insisting it is what You claimed. Even though most of the people that have replied have said the same thing I have said. And even given some advice on how to tell for Yourself. 

So if you mistake me saying words like footprint  trace fossil  amber clawfossil its not me declaring it must be. 

When You repeatedly make that statement even though You have been told it is incorrect then it sounds like You are insisting that You are right and We do not know what We are talking about..

But you sitting there and declaring IT IS NOT IT IT IS NOT THIS IT IS NOT THAT with clear knowledge you have not physically examined it  yourself is kinda rude. 

Just replying in kind. The manner of Your insistence that it is what You think has been quite rude.

AND I DID NOT YELL AT YOU (until now)

All I asked was > IF IT <  IS A FOOTPRINT WITH A CLAW stuck in some sort of agate or whatever its on and in- what does that mean? Rarity wise and worth wise. 

And then kept insisting that it was what You said and (implied) that We did not have the right identification of it. (see the first and fourth quotes above, where You say I can not tell what it is because I have not held it. Twice in one post You belittle Me!)

its special to me. 

Good.

I have many similar pieces of agate and they are all special to Me, even though they have no monetary value.

I am done here!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

There appears to be a fairly clear consensus that, based on the extensive experience of our members, this is certainly not a fossil footprint/claw. ;) 

There are certainly pieces that do much better with examination in hand for where there is more uncertainty.  In this case, we can be much more reasonably certain that it is agate and that it has a suggestive shape. 

You may not agree with the consensus of our members, and so it was suggested that you bring the specimen to an expert in paleontology or geology at your local university or museum. :)

Regarding this piece, there is probably little more we can offer you that we have not already, so I will be locking the topic. If you do get the opinion of an expert who is able to examine it in hand, do let us know. :) 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Kane locked this topic
7 hours ago, kakoraptor said:

...All I asked was > IF IT <  IS A FOOTPRINT WITH A CLAW stuck in some sort of agate or whatever its on and in- what does that mean? Rarity wise and worth wise...

And you have been told, repeatedly (and with patience and respect), that it is not "...A FOOTPRINT WITH A CLAW stuck in some sort of agate or whatever its on and in..."

Redirecting the discussion to your feeling that you have somehow been abused by the responses is disingenuous, if not trollish. It is also rather rude behavior to those who made the effort to respond to your request for help.

• I found this Informative 5

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!