I was barely recovered from the Brechin, Ontario trip the weekend before when I headed out to the Buffalo area, an annual pilgrimage July 4th weekend for the past four years. Usually the highlight of the weekend is the planned meet up with Tim (Fossildude19) to do a bit of fossil collecting together. Others often join us, but this year it was just the two of us. Weather was perfect and we hit our favorite spot; Smokes Creek, a Windom Shale, Moscow Formation, Middle Devonian Hamilton Group site. This is Tim doing what he enjoys most- breaking rocks:

IMG_5655.JPG

These were my best finds of the day- a multiple Eldredgeops plate and a triple though two are mashed together pretty good:

image1 (70).JPG

image1 (86).JPG

Also collected these spirifer brachiopods. The one on the left I picked up on a gravel bar in the stream as I was heading out:

image1 (87).JPG

Besides my foray with Tim, I also spent a day at Penn Dixie (an obligatory gesture)- mostly collecting brachiopods from the Wanakah Shale. However, I did split a few rocks down in the trilobite pit and found a few of these:

image1 (75).JPG

When I visit Buffalo I always camp at Darien Lakes State Park.  Just below the campground is a stream with exposures of the Wanakah Shale. Last year I found some excellent rugose corals, plucking them from the embankments with just my pocket knife. This year I brought some tools and collected even better ones:

image1 (71).JPG

image1 (72).JPG

image1 (73).JPG

6 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Besides my foray with Tim, I also spent a day at Penn Dixie (an obligatory gesture)- mostly collecting brachiopods from the Wanakah Shale. However, I did split a few rocks down in the trilobite pit and found a few of these:

image1 (75).JPG

Talk to @Malcolmt about restoring the nose on the cephalon. It's nearly complete and looks really good. Decent size to.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

When I visit Buffalo I always camp at Darien Lakes State Park.  Just below the campground is a stream with exposures of the Wanakah Shale. Last year I found some excellent rugose corals, plucking them from the embankments with just my pocket knife. This year I brought some tools and collected even better ones:

image1 (71).JPG

image1 (72).JPG

image1 (73).JPG

Very nice corals. I like the striations on these.

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

These were my best finds of the day- a multiple Eldredgeops plate and a triple though two are mashed together pretty good:

image1 (70).JPG

image1 (86).JPG

That first piece is definitely an IPFOTM candidate. Hopefully you can get them prepared in time. That triple plus piece looks stunning. A real keeper.

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

This is a Pleurodictyum americanum and a Favosites argus:

@Jeffrey P I'm not seeing anything for the entry on P. americanum and F. argus. Please repost.

4 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

That first piece is definitely an IPFOTM candidate. Hopefully you can get them prepared in time.

As per the FOTM rules....

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.
5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

@Jeffrey P Take Your time and do it right.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I also visited Spring Creek in Alden (near Darien Lakes S.P.) and extracted some pyrite nodules from the Ledyard Shale to take home and split. Found this trilobite (Greenops?) with a pyrite nodule just above the thorax and an enrolled Greenops in a nodule:  

image1 (88).JPG

image1 (69).JPG

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

As per the FOTM rules....

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.
5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

@Jeffrey P Take Your time and do it right.

Thank you for a rule refresher. Yes take your time on them. I'm sure they will look very impressive when done right.

Although I'm more than pleased with my finds for the weekend, a day collecting with Tim is truly a joy. Thanks Tim for sharing the experience.

19 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

That's really nice, I agree with ynot. thanks for sharing

Well done, Jeff (and Tim)! That plate of prones does look quite lovely, and should look stunning all cleaned up. :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Good stuff, Jeff...love the whole collecting fossils near water gig. Thanks for sharing. 

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

You did very well, some gorgeous fossil finds!  If I ever found a slab of trilobites like that here in Arizona, Id be uncontrollably weeping tears of joy... ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Jeff, 

The pleasure was entirely mine! Always great to see you, collect, and catch up on things. 

Also, fun to see you find such great fossils at that spot! :D 

I had an OK day of collecting - nothing quite as good as Jeffrey's finds, but not bad. 

I also received a few gifts from the ever generous JeffreyP. 

I'll try to get some pictures up this evening. :) 

EDIT: Here are a few of my finds, ... more to come later. ;) 

DSCN5672.JPG    DSCN5677.JPG

DSCN5680.JPG        DSCN5682.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I had to try to get a close up of the pyrite encrusting the shamer trilobite. 

DSCN5694.JPG

DSCN5697.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Nice finds and report, guys!

A pyritized bug is definitely a dream fossil find. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Some neato lookin bugs guys.   and Tim, looks like you got your left foot wet.  Are you ok?    Ha!!!   :)     Just kidding. 

RB

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Some neato lookin bugs guys.   and Tim, looks like you got your left foot wet.  Are you ok?    Ha!!!   :)     Just kidding. 

RB

:P  Haha, .. Ron - actually both feet got wet that day, ... and I didn't melt one bit. ;)