Succesful Fossil Hunt

Dan 1000

Hello all!

Recently, I went down to Beaumaris to look for fossils.

We were there for a few hours and only found the usual fossils (Lovenia Woodsi)

But as we were making our way out of the site, I spotted a large and unusual rock laying in the sand.

When I picked it up, I was surprised to find it was filled with a number of fossils and fossilised imprints of shells and over invertebrates. Does anyone know a good way to clean the fossil or should I just leave it?

Thanks, Dan

DSCN1689.JPG

DSCN1691.JPG

DSCN1692.JPG

DSCN1693.JPG

DSCN1695.JPG

Excellent find. Love picking up little hashes like that.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I agree with ynot.. soft toothbrush and warmish water (soap may or may not be necessary). It looks like all you need to do it remove the seaweed, the piece is otherwise not really dirty?

Nice piece!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Actually, it looks already pretty clean to me, I doubt you could improve it any.  Id personally be more interested at whats inside this rock.  Further splitting it might show some hidden gems inside, or crumble the rock to dust!  That is the kind of tough decision we fossil sleuths must make in life...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Nice piece. Go at it gradually if you want to clean it. Dry brush first see what happens then wet if you think it won't damage anything, then a mounted pin to chip away hard bits, but be ready to stop when the fossil tells you you are being too rough. 

Archived