Basilosaurus vertebrae

Jhwalkerjr

Hi my son was given a large vertabrae it was living life as a flower bed border when we found it. The older couple that had it are really good friends of mine and the question I have is what would be a fair price to offer for the remaining five or six pieces they have in the flower bed. It seems that these are starting to deteriate and need to be preserved. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

image.jpg

I understand that this site does not offer appraisals I am just looking for who to contact as I haven't been able to find anything really comparable online 

@Ptychodus04  should be able to tell you the best way to preserve it, and we have plenty of whale experts to give you an ID.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

If it were me, I would ask for the remainder of the bones, and offer to replace them with other garden stones. 

Then if they agree, I'd also throw in a giftcard to their favorite restaurant for an evening out. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That looks like it needs some serious TLC and isn't long for this world as a garden decoration. There are a ton of threads in the fossil preparation section if you're feeling like a DIY adventure. If you want professional help send me a PM and we can chat.

It is decomposing in the manner of un-fossilized whale bone. It looks like a modern whale vertebra to me. Is there a reason you identify it as Basilosaurus?

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These were found nearly 100 miles from salt water in the middle of the woods still in an exposed limestone outcropping. Some of their family chipped them out years ago. Also I posted some pics earlier to ID it  but thank you though.