Impromptu Platteville, WI hunt 07 May 2017

Raggedy Man

Sorry this report is late, but I wanted to wait until prep was complete as I always show unprepped finds lol. Back in May, Laura and I made an impromptu trip to Grant County Wisconsin for some trilobite action. We had spent nearly five hours hunting with only partials and some hash plates uncovered. I decided to sit in the middle of the site and take a break and let Laura search. Being bored, I started to pick up pieces of rock and brush off the dirt and broken pieces of matrix. To my utter shock, I brushed off some dirt and saw a cephalon emerge, with what looked like thoracic segments. I finished brushing off the dirt and was in shock. My first complete Ceraurus mifflinensis (Demott1987). I was not prepared at all and my wife said I sounded like a five year old opening every Christmas present I've ever wanted. Well here she is, Gabi in all her beauty. It was truely amazing to be the first human to see such a magnificent creature. Prep was completed by David Comfort July 1st. Thank you @piranha for connecting me with the world renowned prep master.

20170507_163005_HDR-1_resized.jpg.bc856b3620bee13866ff9cf64cd84bc8.jpg

20170509_132154_Burst01_resized.thumb.jpg.9dff8cf6384ac5f2d9be3a501d3ac708.jpg

Now prepped

20170712_123214_resized.thumb.jpg.5258304b60955fbe6fb10b84b8586a42.jpg

20170712_123334_resized.thumb.jpg.3845e31d9f1b6705400dd8449f434571.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

...I'm back.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

That is a beautiful find!!:wub::wub::envy:

Congratulations!!:thumbsu:

FOTM (?)

Thanks! You betcha. :fingerscrossed:

...I'm back.

2 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Thank you @piranha for connecting me with the world renowned prep master.

Happy to help!  Thanks also to DeMott for connecting you with multiple Grant County localities.  Congrats! :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Excellent find and preparation. Looks like it's sprouting fins or legs! :trilo:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Also, according to Congreve 2013, it should be classified as: Ceraurus mifflinensis

Congreve, C.R. (2013)

Evolutionary patterns of trilobites across the end Ordovician mass extinction.

PhD Thesis, University of Kansas, 255 pp.  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 2

30 minutes ago, piranha said:

Also, according to Congreve 2013, it should be classified as: Ceraurus mifflinensis

Congreve, C.R. (2013)

Evolutionary patterns of trilobites across the end Ordovician mass extinction.

PhD Thesis, University of Kansas, 255 pp.  PDF LINK

Thanks Piranha, does it keep (Demott1987) or no?

...I'm back.

Yes indeed that is a WOW O WOW trilobite specimen with the added benefit of a great prep job.  Congratulations on that random and lucky pick up.  I'm green.   Reminded me of my trips to Ontario's quarries around Lake Simcoe years ago, before most of them got closed to collecting.  

43 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Thanks Piranha, does it keep (Demott1987) or no?

Yes, reclassified as: Ceraurus mifflinensis

QUOTE:

Since G. mifflinensis was described from an isolated cranidium and an isolated pygidium, we were unable to ascertain with complete confidence whether or not the original holotype and paratype material are in fact mismatched without first describing a complete specimen from the locality.

Discussion.-- Ceraurus mifflinensis is removed from Gabriceraurus and placed into Ceraurus based on the presence of paired exsagittally arranged nodes next to the eye and the triangular shaped furrow anterior of the terminal axial piece of the pygidium, as well as the fact that the characteristics used to place the species in Gabriceraurus (eyes aligned with L2, cephalic outline subrectangular) have been shown to be plesiomorphic.

• I found this Informative 1

13 minutes ago, piranha said:

Yes, reclassified as: Ceraurus mifflinensis

QUOTE:

Since G. mifflinensis was described from an isolated cranidium and an isolated pygidium, we were unable to ascertain with complete confidence whether or not the original holotype and paratype material are in fact mismatched without first describing a complete specimen from the locality.

Discussion.-- Ceraurus mifflinensis is removed from Gabriceraurus and placed into Ceraurus based on the presence of paired exsagittally arranged nodes next to the eye and the triangular shaped furrow anterior of the terminal axial piece of the pygidium, as well as the fact that the characteristics used to place the species in Gabriceraurus (eyes aligned with L2, cephalic outline subrectangular) have been shown to be plesiomorphic.

Yep just finished reading it. I enjoyed they used Al and Calebs new trilobite. Thanks again Piranha. Was a good read.

...I'm back.

Just now, fossilized6s said:

Here's to many more to come. Great bug! 

Looking into saw...lol We really do need one.

...I'm back.

Yeah, the act of breaking down bulk in the field is so.......ridiculously maddening. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Outstanding bug!!!! Very nice. I am getting so impatient for one of these bugs. With all of the partials I find in the area, you  would think I come up with one myself. In fact, I was in the area just a month ago but  did not repeat my success from last year nor yours this year. You took up where I left off. At least one of us is scoring big time each year. Was just getting ready to post some of my finds from Grant County. Are there more fossils to post for you? Also, have you been back to my neck of the woods lately?

47 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Outstanding bug!!!! Very nice. I am getting so impatient for one of these bugs. With all of the partials I find in the area, you  would think I come up with one myself. In fact, I was in the area just a month ago but  did not repeat my success from last year nor yours this year. You took up where I left off. At least one of us is scoring big time each year. Was just getting ready to post some of my finds from Grant County. Are there more fossils to post for you? Also, have you been back to my neck of the woods lately?

I wouldnt feel bad that you havent found one of these. From what I understand, they're extremely rare to find complete and with your bug you found(amazing btw:fistbump:) youre doin very well. I was up there in April and found a nice trilo plate Ive been slowly working on. When I come up again I'll shoot you a message( weeks before this time lol).

...I'm back.

Great find, and inspiring prep work. :) 

Thanks for showing it to us, Paul. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

12 hours ago, Bev said:

CONGRATULATIONS!  :yay-smiley-1::trilowalk::yay-smiley-1::envy:

If you would donate this trilobite to Bev, maybe you would receive a paleo partner award since she educates the public. Just a thought!!!!!!!

On 7/13/2017 at 9:11 PM, minnbuckeye said:

If you would donate this trilobite to Bev, maybe you would receive a paleo partner award since she educates the public. Just a thought!!!!!!!

Ill keep that in mind! I do, however, have an obligation to someone else first.

:rofl:

...I'm back.

6 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Ill keep that in mind! I do, however, have an obligation to someone else first

I am glad you put me first, age before beauty. When can I pick up that trilobite?

Gorgeous triobite! I love seeing Ordovician trilobites from other localities.