Small marine tooth

Shellseeker

I managed to get out to the Peace River yesterday. My hunting buddy has a shallow spot, but I also understand that the river is down and dig-gable in spots.

The location we are digging produces marine fossils including occasional sponge and different urchin spines.

IMG_4362.thumb.JPG.804baa3ab665bd9bfd47f2b013817c46.JPG

I found a tooth that I did not recognize: First I wondered if it was a tooth; it seems to be squeezed on its lateral sides. I thought the base seems most comparable to barracuda. Some of the photos are blurry and added more to provide a composite view.   All comments appreciated.  JackTooth1.thumb.jpg.ede9e2b05b610831e04624034cfcdc67.jpgTooth2.thumb.jpg.c2f15d6835f6408db8c4a2bbc4ee5655.jpgTooth3.thumb.jpg.30ebb3441e05293ce568b56991bc3285.jpgTooth4.thumb.jpg.a40cabcf836d1c8d77fdf5e7f3615d2c.jpgTooth5.thumb.jpg.05a8cce63ac7e70dd38711594bb53411.jpgTooth6.thumb.jpg.0e30a187cac8600ce430b703e131970b.jpgTooth7.thumb.jpg.e844a7ee1ff958a64a4c6abeff07923f.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'm guessing this is the inner part of an alligator or croc tooth. Sometimes when these teeth break open there is a cone shaped core in the middle.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I'm guessing this is the inner part of an alligator or croc tooth. Sometimes when these teeth break open there is a cone shaped core in the middle.

+1 for a croc-a-gator tooth

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Sitting here on lunch break enjoying seeing something different Jack! Your photos want me to stop work and go home and look at some gator teeth..lol and go hunting after work.

it also made me wonder about baracuda teeth....i hate this addiction....interesting find.....later..regards,chris

Thanks for consensus identifications.  Gator seems like the most probable but I was put off by the odd shaving on this tooth both sides noted in photo #2.  Likely just pathological. Its almost like the fossil gods have been cons piing against me for months. I managed to only get out twice in June and this will be my only date in July. But I did get a really nice day and some decent finds.  Should not be complaining about hunting in July, it is always problematic.    Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for consensus identifications.  Gator seems like the most probable but I was put off by the odd shaving on this tooth both sides noted in photo #2.  Likely just pathological. Its almost like the fossil gods have been cons piing against me for months. I managed to only get out twice in June and this will be my only date in July. But I did get a really nice day and some decent finds.  Should not be complaining about hunting in July, it is always problematic.    Jack

@Shellseeker

The "shaving" as you refer could be where impact(s) caused pieces to shear off. Tumbling in the sand could have worn down the rough edges. Just a hypothesis. I see that sometimes here in eastern VA/MD with fossils found in surf/beach conditions.

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World