Inner Amethyst

Brampton, Caledon, Georgetown Fossil Sites

11 posts in this topic

Hello! I am in Brampton and need some direction on where I can go to do some fun hunting. anything in the Caledon, Georgetown, Brampton areas? or within 45 mins of these areas? not concerned with what type of fossils. just love finding history! thanks so much!!! - also - are there any groups that get together in these areas? trips? clubs ect? :fingerscrossed:

You have a number of clubs that run trips that you can look into

NYPGS   St. Catherines  Niagara Pennisula Geological Society

Scarborough

Kawartha  (Peterborough)

You do not have to live in the area or go to the meeting to join on these clubs trips just pay a minimal fee to be a member.

There are not a lot of good sites where you are living that are accessible to the public.

You could try the Forks of the Credit

Mount Nemo (old abandoned quarry on the site has lots of corals ) basically at Britannia and Guelph line

Anywhere on the Credit river that is publically accessible

They are very picturesque and a nice hike with reasonable chance of finding common stuff. 

You can reach out to Monica here on the forum she has done a lot more casual collecting in this area than me as she takes her daughter out. My collecting tends to be a bit more "hard core" and tends to be a 2 hour or more drive.

1 person finds this informative

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

You have a number of clubs that run trips that you can look into

NYPGS   St. Catherines  Niagara Pennisula Geological Society

Scarborough

Kawartha  (Peterborough)

You do not have to live in the area or go to the meeting to join on these clubs trips just pay a minimal fee to be a member.

There are not a lot of good sites where you are living that are accessible to the public.

You could try the Forks of the Credit

Mount Nemo (old abandoned quarry on the site has lots of corals ) basically at Britannia and Guelph line

Anywhere on the Credit river that is publically accessible

They are very picturesque and a nice hike with reasonable chance of finding common stuff. 

You can reach out to Monica here on the forum she has done a lot more casual collecting in this area than me as she takes her daughter out. My collecting tends to be a bit more "hard core" and tends to be a 2 hour or more drive.

Thanks so much! I would LOVE to go on a hard core trip too... just thinking something close would be fun when im bored in the evenings after work.

I have a cottage on Rice Lake near Peterborough in the town of Bailieboro. anything near that or Bewdley?

There used to be areas near Port Hope and Havelock  but that was like 50 years ago that I last went. There are quite a few areas around Peterborough but again public access is problematic.

There are a series of old books written by Ann Sabina that are now out of print (via Geologic survey of Canada). They may still have them at the Brampton library. They give you spots that as of when the books were written (70s -80's) that you could try to collect. Many of the sites are no longer there but some are. There was a dark blue coloured one in particular that had areas that are within driving distance of you.

Pretty much any roadcut exposure (not 400 series hiways) south of Barrie has the potential to contain fossils as a lot of it is Ordovician in timescale. Collingwood area has trilos but again public access is a problem.

The Dundas area has a lot of Devonian material but again most is on private land.

Fort Erie has a lot of Silurian but again most is on private land.

18 minutes ago, Inner Amethyst said:

Thanks so much! I would LOVE to go on a hard core trip too... just thinking something close would be fun when im bored in the evenings after work.

I have a cottage on Rice Lake near Peterborough in the town of Bailieboro. anything near that or Bewdley?

Here is a LINK to a geologic map of Ontario. 

This website's information is very old, and likely no longer accurate, ... but it is a good starting place for research into new sites.

When scouting, keep in mind the areas where rocks are exposed - gullies, streams rivers, construction sites, etc. 

Make sure to try to secure permission to hunt, before any collecting, though. ;) 

Regards, 

Thanks Tim!!!

4 hours ago, Inner Amethyst said:

Hello! I am in Brampton and need some direction on where I can go to do some fun hunting. anything in the Caledon, Georgetown, Brampton areas? or within 45 mins of these areas? not concerned with what type of fossils. just love finding history! thanks so much!!! - also - are there any groups that get together in these areas? trips? clubs ect? :fingerscrossed:

Hi there!

This is the Monica that Malcolm was referring to :)

I live in Mississauga, fairly close to Etobicoke, and I've had some success surface-collecting stuff along Etobicoke Creek, Mimico Creek, and Humber River.  As Malcolm has said, I usually go out with my 6-year-old daughter, and we mostly just "flip rocks" and have found orthoconic (straight-shelled) nautiloids, bivalves, gastropods, brachiopods, bryozoans, crinoid bits, and a couple of worn-down trilobites by doing this.  I've recently begun hammering rocks, too (using a rock hammer), and have found some surprises (e.g., bivalves) hidden inside of otherwise plain-looking rocks.

Malcolm also suggested joining a club so that you can access sites that would otherwise be off-limits.  I would definitely recommend this, too!  I joined the NPGS (Niagara Peninsula Geological Society) so that I could join them on a "field trip" to Hungry Hollow (quarry in Arkona, Ontario - somewhat close to London, Ontario) in April, and it was amazing!!!  See the following link:

I've been in contact with the liason to Hungry Hollow and he's planning on arranging one or two club "field trips" this summer, so if you join a club before then, then you should be able to get in on the field trip, too.

There is also a fossil park across the border in Hamburg, NY (called Penn Dixie) in which you pay to enter and then you can keep whatever you find!  My daughter and I participated in their annual "Dig with the Experts" event back in May and we found a ton of trilo bits!  See the following link:

If you have any further, specific questions, then feel free to send me a personal message via the little envelope icon at the top of the page.

Happy hunting!

Monica

4 hours ago, Inner Amethyst said:

Looks like my friends here are helping you out so well that I don't have much to add except to say team up with them and have fun!

I have never been to Brampton but down river the Credit River in Mississauga I have had luck with collecting late Ordovician reef fossils. I'm not sure what the Credit River is like up at Brampton, perhaps the uppermost part of the Georgian Bay and Queenston formation is exposed in the Brampton Credit River?

If you do come across the Georgian Bay formation on the Credit River in Mississauga do expect to find brachiopods, bryozoans, stromatoporoid colonies, a calcifying algae, and some corals (Favistella is the most abundant but I have also found a Helicelasma solitary coral) up north. However as you go down river to Port Credit the fauna resembles that of Etobicoke with orthocones, bivalves, and trace fossils becoming more common.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:26 AM, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

I have never been to Brampton but down river the Credit River in Mississauga I have had luck with collecting late Ordovician reef fossils. I'm not sure what the Credit River is like up at Brampton, perhaps the uppermost part of the Georgian Bay and Queenston formation is exposed in the Brampton Credit River?

If you do come across the Georgian Bay formation on the Credit River in Mississauga do expect to find brachiopods, bryozoans, stromatoporoid colonies, a calcifying algae, and some corals (Favistella is the most abundant but I have also found a Helicelasma solitary coral) up north. However as you go down river to Port Credit the fauna resembles that of Etobicoke with orthocones, bivalves, and trace fossils becoming more common.

Neat!!! do you just scan the shore line? the credit river is hard to get to and sometimes doesn't have much of a shoreline up here. more like a drop off. im going to check out forks of the credit this weekend and maybe a small spot along the CR in Georgetown. Wish me luck!

9 hours ago, Inner Amethyst said:

Neat!!! do you just scan the shore line? the credit river is hard to get to and sometimes doesn't have much of a shoreline up here. more like a drop off. im going to check out forks of the credit this weekend and maybe a small spot along the CR in Georgetown. Wish me luck!

The drop offs from my experience is where the exposures can be found. Some drop offs are not that entirely high however, like only just above 8 ft tall. Some of the good exposures I've been to ARE high drop offs and to get to the bottom where the goodies are is a bit risky and unsafe in my opinion.