Hey there!

I'm sorry its been so long since I've posted on here but suffice it to say I need your help. I'm planning a six to seven day fossil hunting trip in Pennsylvania (sometime in mid august) and I need your help verifying that the sites I've picked to visit from Robert Beards guide Rock Hounding Pennsylvania are still accessible to collecting as well as coverable given my time frame. The places I'm looking at hunting are sites 27. Beltzville State Park (Outcrops on shoreline), 28. Lehighton, Lehigh Canal (Former borrow pit and outcrop),30. Deer Lake (Borrow Pit), 33. Suedberg (Outcrop in former borrow pit), 35. Centralia (Former strip mine outcrop), 38. Rockville (Former quarry), 48. Walker Lake (Hillside and unpaved road), 51. PPL Montour Preserve (Hillside, Former borrow pit), 57. Uniontown (Former quarry). Any insights as to whether or not theses sites are still accessible to collecting, weather our not you believe covering all these sites within 6 to 7 days is possible, and any other tips and tidbits of information on the sites, and or planning a large trip like this etc, would be greatly appreciated! When I go I'm planning to take notes and pictures and then, when i get back, write a few essays illustrated with pics that I will post on here!  

Thank you in advance,

Glenn aka Fossil123 

I haven't been to any of those sites, although I plan to someday, so I'm looking forward to your reports! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The Montour Preserve Pit is still open.  My son and I went up there in the spring.  We only found a few small brachiopods, but we might not have been busting rock at the right layer.  My son and I still enjoyed it even though it wasn't very productive for us.  By the time we left there was at least a 15 people all over the hillside digging through the loose rocks and busting up rocks.

Glad you guys still had fun! thanks for verifying the statues of the Montour Preserve Pit! :D

Although your trip seems pretty filled up, if one falls out or you get extra time, Carbondale has some dumped mine tailings with good Carboniferous plants of the Lleweylln formation. Here's my report:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great trip report!! Ill definitely check it out if one of the sites falls out or I get extra time!  Regards! 

Check out Carbondale. Just search for it and the Fossil Hunting Trips forum is generally reserved for trips. Post your discussion about PA either under the USA-PA section or General Discussion forums. You can also talk to @drobare as he knows some spots near Pittsburg that have some really good specimens.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Will do! And I'll post it on both of them! Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this. And yeah i'll talk to him! 

On 7/14/2017 at 6:17 PM, Fossil-Hound said:

Check out Carbondale. Just search for it and the Fossil Hunting Trips forum is generally reserved for trips. Post your discussion about PA either under the USA-PA section or General Discussion forums. You can also talk to @drobare as he knows some spots near Pittsburg that have some really good specimens.

• 1 month later...

Many good spots in Pennsylvania but deer lake has been turned into a highway and the only real place to collect now is the ledges behind the bar/restaurant. Some things can be found there but not much anymore. I went numerous times while they were doing the construction for the roadway. Good luck! 

Archived