Purse State Park July 9 2017

Adam86cucv

Last Sunday my family (wife, 7yo son, and 2yo son) and I headed down to Purse State Park for the first time for some fossil hunting and beach time.  The parking lot was full but a couple was packing up so we were able to snag their spot.  We got there about and hour before low tide and stayed about 2 hours.  We all found some teeth and ray crushing plate fragments.  Ok, technically our 2 year old was just playing in the sand but we pointed out and he handed us the ones that were in the sand he was playing with.  We didn't find anything huge but for 2 hours everyone had fun and was happy.  In the past visits to Brownies Beach and Calvert Cliffs my wife would just hang back and entertain our youngest or play with him on the edge of the water, actually searched and found several including the largest one among us.  I'll have to play with the camera some or get out my usb microscope and see if I can improve the pictures.  I have a picture of just the teeth I will have to attach separately since I am hitting the max size. 

IMG_4061.JPG

This is a zoomed in picture of just the teeth and teeth pieces.  I'd also like to thank my son for being a star student so I could use his ruler as a scale otherwise it would be some variety of coinage.  :D

IMG_4064.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I forgot the zoomed in picture of the miscellaneous fossils found, minus the ray crusher plate fragments. 

IMG_4060.JPG

55 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice finds.:thumbsu:

Thanks, I feel it was one of our best fossil hunting trips yet.  My 7yo son is getting good at spotting the teeth so it's not like in the beginning when he was discouraged that he couldn't find anything.  I just need to make sure we have enough sand toys/tools for everyone.

It is a fun place to go, my girls love going there as well! If you want to find all the turritella gastropod fossils you could ever imagine, walk downriver from the entrance. Just past the point you will find a bluff full of them!

Congratulations on the finds!

Rob :D

Congratulations on time well spent with family!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.