Fossil bone?

kolleamm

Found this in Southern California, the rocks are either Paleozoic or Mesozoic, I'm really unsure but this was near the Silverado area. What do you think? 

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3351.PNG

Deffinetly bone, but I have no idea what animal its from?   Need bobby for this one.  

RB

Really? Wow...marine reptile possibly? So Cal was under water in the Cretaceous.

Have you tried a geologic map yet? It may help. My guess is rib. No real reason, just getting rib vibes...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Is it possible it's just a layer of sandstone or a volcanic intrusion? If it is indeed a bone it's probably from the Cretaceous

Just now, kolleamm said:

Is it possible it's just a layer of sandstone or a volcanic intrusion? If it is indeed a bone it's probably from the Cretaceous

Well if it's a bone, it's not a volcanic intrusion (they don't preserve fossils;)) it looks like sandstone, what makes you say Cretaceous? Was that from a map? Maps can also tell a formation which can give important information on age and deposition environment, as well as the variety of animals already found in it. One of us could try to find out, if you are willing to give an approximate location ( near this town, south of this county, etc.)

I also wouldn't rule out trace fossil btw

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The area is Corona in Southern California. From my research the highly metamorphed rocks (which I did see there) are paleozoic,and the others are mesozoic.

11 minutes ago, kolleamm said:

The area is Corona in Southern California. From my research the highly metamorphed rocks (which I did see there) are paleozoic,and the others are mesozoic.

I'm gonna agree with @ynot, it's not actually a bone:( I live in a "highly metamorphoszied area" this means all the good fossil bearing rocks have been cooked and crushed, leaving no fossils behind. But keep looking, just look for sedimentary rocks, such as shale, sandstone (this one is probably quartzite, a metamorphosed variety), siltstone,mudstone and limestone.

Happy hunting,

Mason

The "bones" may be a low grade Quartz, the Quartz indicates high silica content, consistent with the "bones" (veins of Quartz) being intruded into the rock around it. The Quartz was at the time lava, seeping into the sandstone, turning it to quartzite. These are signs of seismic and volcanic activity in SoCals ancient history.

Just now, kolleamm said:

Good to know though, I hate wondering what if, thanks!

No problem, happy to help! I hate not knowing myself, this is what drives my desire to learn, and the one of the best places to learn is The Fossil Forum.

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

The "bones" may be a low grade Quartz, the Quartz indicates high silica content, consistent with the "bones" (veins of Quartz) being intruded into the rock around it. The Quartz was at the time lava, seeping into the sandstone, turning it to quartzite. These are signs of seismic and volcanic activity in SoCals ancient history.

That makes sense and pretty much sums it up. 

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

The Quartz was at the time lava,

This is an incorrect statement.

The quartz was either part of the sand that was consolidated during metamorphic process or an intrusive hydrothermal deposition.

Quartz can be part of an igneous rock bit not a "lava". 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

This is an incorrect statement.

The quartz was either part of the sand that was consolidated during metamorphic process or an intrusive hydrothermal deposition.

Quartz can be part of an igneous rock bit not a "lava". 

And thus I learn more! Thank you for the information, i shall try my best to remember it. when I go around saying stupid things, I'm glad you are here to correct me! :)

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

when I go around saying stupid things,

A lack of knowledge does not equate to stupid.

Quartz is silica dioxide (basically pure silica). Silica is a very common element in the earth's crust and is found in a multitude of rocks and crystals. Lava (an extrusive igneous rock) is basically divided into two groups-- basalt and rhyolite. Both are rich in silica, but neither have any quartz in them. The silica can be moved to and consolidated in the voids within the lava body by hot water solutions percolating through the cooled lava.

Intrusive igneous rock can be rich in quartz (granite). This is because as it cools over a long time the silica has time to separate from or bond with the other elements in the magma.

Regards,

Tony

PS Magma becomes lava when it reaches the earth's surface.

I hesitate to point this out,but petrology seldom involves simple binary mixtures that move through simple phase spaces.

1 minute ago, doushantuo said:

I hesitate to point this out,but petrology seldom involves simple binary mixtures that move through simple phase spaces.

I know that but was trying to keep My explanation on a layman's level.

I figured you did,Tony,but now the world knows there was bit of simplification going on,to crank up the comprehensibility level

Nutcase that I am ,I love petrogenetic modeling

vermeimolluscbofimages.jpg

3 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

crank up the comprehensibility level

If You want to go that way We can start talking about the fluid / surface interface.

Funny you should say that, because I was looking at some of the literature on that.

Archived