Colorful conch shell ishihara petrochemical treatment of rock specimen   <----- I stumbled upon this under an ammonite for sale listing and i have never heard of this phrase or this "petrochemical treatment" ever before. Can anybody help me out with some imput (knowledge) as to what this process implies? and also if this means that most ammonite or other shelled fossils that has that rainbow or color crazy kind of look to it, does this mean they are real fossils but fake colored or yes there are real fossils that are naturally that rainbow or actually have undergone opalization?

Truely appeciate any and all help or advice

Thanks, 

Sincerely Thomas.

Ammolite Ammonite Original Shell.jpg

Hey Thomas,

Welcome to TFF!

There are many locations where the nacre of shells has been preserved or opalized and they have the beautiful colors of the one You pictured.

I have never heard of petrochemical treatment before and think it is a made up phrase that the dealer used to explain the colors of the shell.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Agree with @ynot, petrochemical is petroleum distillates, mostlly chemicals used for synthetic materials or lubraction. Nacre is hard to replicate, but nature knows what it's doing, so it does it effortlessly.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

There is a furniture product called Orange something or something Orange.  I cant rememeber the name but its a petroleum based product that will make the shine on ammonites even more so. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 months later...