Napoleon North

Hi

This is fish coprolite?

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

It's hard to see, but is there a faint spiral? That would indicate shark coprolite.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Please provide end-views of the specimen to see which one of the possibilities could be excluded : tube worm, coral, sponge, coprolite

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Could be a coprolite, but I am not seeing much to confirm that rather than suggest that.

As for a spiral, I also don't see much evidence of that. But keep in mind that spiral coprolites would come from sharks but also rays, chimaeroids, sawfishes, amiids, gars, paddlefish, sturgeons, lungfishes, and coelacanths. I.e., all non-teleost fishes.

• I found this Informative 2

Hard question as Carl said

31 minutes ago, Carl said:

Could be a coprolite, but I am not seeing much to confirm that rather than suggest that.

As for a spiral, I also don't see much evidence of that. But keep in mind that spiral coprolites would come from sharks but also rays, chimaeroids, sawfishes, amiids, gars, paddlefish, sturgeons, lungfishes, and coelacanths. I.e., all non-teleost fishes.

coprolites are very often then not only identifiable by a class or order and dietitian sadly the family and genus may never be known but based on the conjectures around this topic the specimen is just not quite something someone can easily identify either way it's still a cool fossil. 

rydysig.JPG