Dinosaur fossil Claw? Found in PA Need help with ID

Kingofthekats

So here is what another paleontologist told me,     certainly is phosphate of some kind.  bone or carapace.  Very very cool

3 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

So here is what another paleontologist told me,     certainly is phosphate of some kind.  bone or carapace.  Very very cool

Cool! With the age and lack of pores, carapace is a better bet.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

So now we know that it is a carapace so what should I do now?

There is not enough of Your piece to be identified, so look for more and hope that You can find a better piece.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

21 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

So now we know that it is a carapace so what should I do now?

I'd display it somehow, maybe frame it and put a little description next to it (I still think eurypterid carapace) and look for some new ones as ynot said. You can keep it and start a collection as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I mean if I found two I'm pretty sure the rest of it is somewhere near the ones I found which were pretty close to each other  

Just now, Kingofthekats said:

I mean if I found two I'm pretty sure the rest of it is somewhere near the ones I found which were pretty close to each other  

Yes it proves the fossiliferousness of the rock, and eurypterids seem to congregate in some areas (i.e. Langs quarry) I must worn you however they are rare even in places like langs and it could take some time to find another. Now go find me a eurypterid!:P

good luck!

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

That is not a given. It could have been just parts when it was originaly buried or it could have eroded away after exposure. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 weeks later...

So I called a museum and sent them pictures and they said it is eurypterid and something about salt water

19 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

So I called a museum and sent them pictures and they said it is eurypterid and something about salt water

Salt water? Hm. Well it seems eurypterid is  the prevailing answer.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Do you know where I can get the value of these pieces so I know for future if I want to sell them

27 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

Do you know where I can get the value of these pieces so I know for future if I want to sell them

Value of fossils is relative, it's worth whatever someone wants to pay for it. Unfortunately for me (a eurypterid-less person) , some want them more badly than I:P Eurypterids are relatively rare, but occur in numbers in some places. I'd suggest looking through the usual auction sites at the values of those, keep in mind yours is partial and fragile, but it is 3D. Good luck with selling it if this is what you decide to do!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Do you think paleo direct Eurypterids website are legitimate prices or over priced because I do not want to be conned by someone saying it is less than what it is

1 minute ago, Kingofthekats said:

Do you think paleo direct Eurypterids website are legitimate prices or over priced because I do not want to be conned by someone saying it is less than what it is

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you that publicly one way or another as we don't render judgement on fossil-related businesses for understandably legal reasons. Perhaps someone who is familiar with that company might tell you her/his opinion over PM. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Ok thank you, if anyone can tell me what the possible value is, send me a private message.

Edited by Kane
Removed email address to thwart the bots

19 hours ago, Kingofthekats said:

Am curious as to which museum.