Need help to ID what this is

Den430

Hey guys, so I need help in figuring what this is. So this belonged to my grandpa who passed away recently. My mom told me it was given to my grandpa by his grandfather back in a rural village in Northern China. It has a slight crack in the rock due to transport about 30 years ago. Also I shined a light in the back to show the transparency. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_4143.JPG

I agree with orthocerid, and a pretty one, some opalization has occurred. It's also very large, average fossils of this type are a few inches. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I agree with orthocerid, and a pretty one, some opalization has occurred. It's also very large, average fossils of this type are a few inches. 

Looks more like backlit agate and

Orthocone nautiloids range in size from less than an inch to (in some giant endocerids of the Ordovician) seventeen feet (or five meters) long.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

15 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks more like backlit agate and

Orthocone nautiloids range in size from less than an inch to (in some giant endocerids of the Ordovician) seventeen feet (or five meters) long.

Yeah, but the longer ones are rare, when I said "average" I meant ones generally found by fossil hunters, as well as ones on the market that I've seen. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived