Sign in to follow this  
Ron E.

Breaking The Ice For Akrkinsaw...

Ron E.

I live in Benton County, extreme NW corner. Boone Limestone, early Mississippian era.

Abundant: crinoid sections, bryozoans, brachiopods

Fairly common: blastoids, crinoid calyx frags, rugose corals

Rare, but I've found them: complete crinoid calyxes, trilobites

Rare, I've yet to spot any: echinoids, echinoid spikes, fish evidence

I hunt fossils in the Little Sugar Creek, just north of Bentonville. Several spots you can pull off the road and find stuff. Also, have access to lots of road cuts. A soft red claystone is frequently encountered in roadcuts that is loaded with bryos, and I've found one trilly in that stuff.

The Fayetteville Shale is just south, I've found archimides bryos in some road cut limestone grabbed while stopped on I-540 when the blasted state troopers weren't around ;-)

mommabetts

Do you have pics of some of your finds?

old dead things

Wyoming and Old Dead Things welcome you to the forum. Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures.

post-1148-1247501057_thumb.jpg

www.olddeadthings.com

Ron E.
Do you have pics of some of your finds?

My What Is This Fossil site in my sig is my primary posting ground. :)

DarrellandVicky

Hey Ron,

Darrell and I love to hunt fossils in this same area. Have you found any areas in particular? We are in Bella Vista near Tanyard Creek. We hear this is a great place to search.

Darrell & Vicky

post-2377-12558799604781_thumb.jpg

Ron E.

Hey Ron,

Darrell and I love to hunt fossils in this same area. Have you found any areas in particular? We are in Bella Vista near Tanyard Creek. We hear this is a great place to search.

Darrell & Vicky

Hi, Vicky (and Darrell). Wow, crazy around your area this week!

I have located all sorts of stuff in this area. There are stromatolites in Sugar Creek under the highway 71 bridge just over the Missouri line. You have to wade to get to them, so maybe not this year ;-) Otherwise, just about any exposed rock will reveal Mississippian creatures. The Little Sugar Creek just north of Bentonville along Price Coffee road has some chert that has revealed some amazing finely detailed creatures. Vaughan Road west of Vaughan, where it tees into Tilly's Hill road, has some great claystone which has some amazing detailed stuff inside. I've found at least ten trilobite tails this year, half from the claystone and half from the Little Sugar.

Once I get to know you guys better, I MIGHT tell you about my upper Mississippian spot in Fayetteville ;-)

post-1880-12558838381762_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12558838108925_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12558838621261_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12558838904076_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12558839864922_thumb.jpg

DarrellandVicky

So now we have a place to start. Will try to get out this weekend and see what we come up with. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Vicky & Darrell

fig rocks

Hi, Vicky (and Darrell). Wow, crazy around your area this week!

I have located all sorts of stuff in this area. There are stromatolites in Sugar Creek under the highway 71 bridge just over the Missouri line. You have to wade to get to them, so maybe not this year ;-) Otherwise, just about any exposed rock will reveal Mississippian creatures. The Little Sugar Creek just north of Bentonville along Price Coffee road has some chert that has revealed some amazing finely detailed creatures. Vaughan Road west of Vaughan, where it tees into Tilly's Hill road, has some great claystone which has some amazing detailed stuff inside. I've found at least ten trilobite tails this year, half from the claystone and half from the Little Sugar.

Once I get to know you guys better, I MIGHT tell you about my upper Mississippian spot in Fayetteville ;-)

post-1880-12558838381762_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12558838108925_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12558838621261_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12558838904076_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12558839864922_thumb.jpg

Nice trios Ron! :wub:

Sadiyah

Hi! Visiting from Texas, and wondering where we might find shark teeth around Malvern. we're new at this stuff!

Zeek Martin

Hey ya'll! I'm a new member, but somewhat longtime lurker. I live in Fayetteville - and I am like a kid

in a candy store down here! Literally every other rock I kick over while walking the dog has SOMETHING

of interest - from crinoids to trilobite tracks! Right now I look in areas with a lot of "unnatural" erosion.

There seems to be quite a large number of drainage pipes that were put in place with a total disregard for

the local soil...Bad for topsoil, GREAT for us! The sandstone and limestone is bristling with bryozoans, corals, brachipods, crinoids...I've actually found a few "butt ends" of trilobites...

I grew up in Maryland, and finding fossils there only happened when my dad took me out to Calvert Cliffs..

I know the crinoids and bryozoans aren't terribly exciting for most people, but I am still in a mild state of shock with regard to the sheer abundance of them...

Don't get me wrong - I would LOVE to find a vertebrate fossil or a nice plant sometime soon...

Sorry. Kind of spazzing out here. Hi everyone from Arkansas!

Here is a link to my ID post with some pictures of recent finds in Fayetteville and the surrounding area!

tracer

phunny intro. me likes. :)

cryway903

Hi. Does anyone know if there is good fossil hunting around the diamond mine in Arkansas?