megalodon advice

xaar

Hello I am newbie and I think right now to buy me a very beautiful tooth 

I wanted your opinion on this tooth I know it is very beautiful but I wonder if the blue spot can be considered a defect or not?

megalodon-tooth-5-06-in-museum-grade-lee-creek-aurora-megalodon-shark-tooth-26670646607_1400x.jpg

megalodon-tooth-5-06-in-museum-grade-lee-creek-aurora-megalodon-shark-tooth-26670645903_1400x.jpg

megalodon-tooth-5-06-in-museum-grade-lee-creek-aurora-megalodon-shark-tooth-26670646159_1400x.jpg

Edited by xaar

No it is not a defect. It is part of the way the tooth fossilized. It is common for teeth to have different colored blotches or spots on them. Most collectors feel that this adds character to the teeth.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

You have picked a wonderful Meg. As previously mentioned, the color adds character to the tooth. Is the tooth from Lee Creek?

10 minutes ago, fossilselachian said:

You have picked a wonderful Meg. As previously mentioned, the color adds character to the tooth. Is the tooth from Lee Creek?

5.06 Lee Creek museum grade

Looks like a wonderful tooth and from a location that is now closed to collecting.

Colour blotches and swirls are due to mineralization and as others have said, can often add character. It's a personal thing as to whether you find it aesthetically pleasing or not.

Things to look for that may reduce the value of a tooth:

Enamel peel or missing enamel.

missing or damaged serrations

incomplete bourlette.

this tooth looks great on all counts except there may be a patch of missing enamel just above (or below as it is pictured) the root in the second picture.

This could be factored into the price. The dealers I have bought from usually mention any flaws in their description that have been factored into the price.

one last thing - check if there is any restoration or repair. If it is not mentioned in the description ask before you buy.

• I found this Informative 1