Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian2828

Big Brook - August trip

7 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about taking my 7 year old to Big Brook for a fossil trip in early August.  I've seen a few guides online, but nothing is recent or that specific.  Can anyone tell me what current conditions are like?  Our plan is to  park at 95 Hillsdale Rd., Colts Neck, NJ and then follow a path to the creek, wade, and look for gravel beds to start sifting.  Any more specific suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

I think you have nailed it. The only suggestion I have is to try to wait till after is has rained well there. So more fossils get washed into the stream. It is getting hit up hard.

Totally agree with Darktooth. We were just there this past Sunday for the first time, and only managed to find 10 tiny teeth, and we did a lot of sifting. We were the 3rd car there and when we left there were at least 15. I plan on trying it again, but I am going to wait awhile. Good luck when you go.

Just the usual, bring bug spray. My buddies still in NJ say there have been a lot of fossil hunters as of late. So hunting may seem difficult, but they have been finding a lot of arrowheads and such so keep your eyes open for them. Good luck and hope you have a successful trip.

Thanks for all of the responses.  Any tips on where we go once we park at 95 Hillsdale Rd., Colts Neck, NJ ?  I found some guides online but they are from a number of years ago.  It will be hot and we have a seven year old so we are hoping to keep the hiking to a minimum.  I also recall seeing something about a private land owner who has had negative interactions with fossil hunters.  I'd like to keep the trip as low stress as possible.  Thanks!

If Big Brook doesnt work out, I would recommend trying Ramanessin Brook. It isn't too far and I don't think it's quite as well searched as Big Brook. Only major catch is you can't collect within the boundaries of Holmdel Park.

11 hours ago, bjkibz said:

If Big Brook doesnt work out, I would recommend trying Ramanessin Brook. It isn't too far and I don't think it's quite as well searched as Big Brook. Only major catch is you can't collect within the boundaries of Holmdel Park.

Should probably clarify: outside of the park collection is legal, at least since I've been. In the parks you can't collect.

There are parts of the creek outside of Holmdel Park that you can collect in.