Mazon Creek ID help

CBOB

So my wife and I loaded up the canoe and headed down to Mazonia South Unit Pit 11 for a day of some paddling and of course some fossil (nodule) hunting.  We did really well on the nodule collecting.  I happened to find this and was my most exciting find of the day.  I found it face down in the mud and full of mineral staining and only found this half of it.  After a little prep/cleaning tonight a lot of the details came out.  I have no idea what I have here.  Any help or ideas with this one?

The first picture is more for scale.  The remaining pictures were taken with my cell phone but had my wife shine her cell phone flashlight on the fossil.  The details really jump out with the added light.  

0716172213a.thumb.jpg.61a5b11475ae721ee42b02f8f176a42b.jpg0716172213b.thumb.jpg.0a4c418eb51c78f8e40cb8bec05a0143.jpg0716172214_Burst01.thumb.jpg.3d0ba831193d384d8e22667a7f43316d.jpg0716172214a.thumb.jpg.a17d95e4999c113889d7dfb4a96cb02a.jpg0716172214c.thumb.jpg.e2b4b74c43227dbbcd881d354c0ad077.jpg0716172217.thumb.jpg.274146cdbfb2c0a4db09007e52576718.jpgIMG957760.thumb.jpg.bbfc03ed98a7b5dc1f421010bee78f63.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Interesting... definitely looks like the back end of a shrimp down toward the bottom, but we're looking at a splayed-out top view of the front end above that? What is that backbone-looking part?

7 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Interesting... definitely looks like the back end of a shrimp down toward the bottom, but we're looking at a splayed-out top view of the front end above that? What is that backbone-looking part?

Exactly.  I think shrimp too all splayed out but what are the 2 bumps in the middle and that weird looking backbone part? That's what has me stumped.   

Or a coprolite of some kind with bits of other animals?

I think the head and tail parts are too intact to be a coprolite, but maybe something tore it in half?

Doesn't look like Cyclus to me - the long folded legs, the long protrusions out front don't seem to match - I think shrimp, but I'm not confident of anything. We need our Mazon experts to have a look.

Fair enough.Mamayocaris?

edit:the circumference/outline is a little tricky.

Wrangellian,since your post I think I am seeing more of an elongate outline now,but is that objective or because you don't think it's Cyclus?

intriguing

diagnschrammimages.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just a guess almost looks like a crab mabey eating fish carcass,

Not expert by far just good imagination ,mabey 2 head to head

just for giggles coat with egg white just egg white see if more details come out sometimes works and won't hurt it can wash off 

PS let dry for a day 

Mazon Creek fossils can sometimes be very much like a Rorschach Test--people's imagination plus their background can guide what they see in nodules from Mazon Creek. I usually have a more informed opinion if I've personally found a nodule similar to the one in question. I've usually scanned through my Mazon Creek ID books and done research online to try to ID one of my specimens and the knowledge gained there can help when others have found similar nodules. I've never come across something like this in my limited collecting at Mazon Creek and so I'm of little use in helping suggest alternatives as to what this could me but I eagerly await what the experts may have to say as it will add to my knowledge of these interesting (but often confusing) fossils from Mazon Creek.

Cheers.

-Ken

Maybe Tealliocaris,which looks similar to Mamayocaris...or at least  a pygocephalomorph

This is a typical preservation of the larger shrimp found in Mazon called the Belotelson magister.

Here is a link showing a very similar specimen. 

http://www.virtualmuseumofgeology.com/mazon-creek-fauna.html

6624813_orig.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

20 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

This is a typical preservation of the larger shrimp found in Mazon called the Belotelson magister.

Here is a link showing a very similar specimen. 

http://www.virtualmuseumofgeology.com/mazon-creek-fauna.html

6624813_orig.jpg

That's a darn close match!  Thanks!  I've never found a shrimp like this before.  That's almost an exact match.  Another Mazon mystery solved!  Thanks all for your help!

5 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Before i forget:really impressive find,CBOB.

Thanks so much!  I was really happy and excited when I found it out there!

Archived