bjkibz

Found this sponge on the beach in Beach Haven, NJ. Wondering if anyone could tell me if its modern or Pleistocene (I ask bc I have heard of Pleistocene fossils being found off of NJ's coastline

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Two more angles

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you."

Not a sponge but the holes are cause by a boring sponge, I think Cliona is the name of the boring sponge. The part you are holding is the center of a gastropod.

32 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Not a sponge but the holes are cause by a boring sponge, I think Cliona is the name of the boring sponge. The part you are holding is the center of a gastropod.

Thanks. I'm guessing it would be modern then?

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you."

23 minutes ago, bjkibz said:

Thanks. I'm guessing it would be modern then?

I would say so.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks all for the help.

I love poriferans:wub::wub:!
That's entobia (Clionaid sponges eroded a gastropod shell element- a process called bioerosion),IMO .

Regards,

Archived