D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys,

Today I found very interesting and also simply looking tusk fragment in Varena town (South Lithuania) near my home. 

Its length is 8,3 cm and it has thick bone layer in the both ends. It is almost straight and by appearance of piece I see that it was long and sharp. 

The age of fossil is Late Pleistocene, the last glaciation times.

Any idea what is this?

Best Regards

Domas 

walrus tusk fragment 1.JPG

walrus tusk fragment 2.JPG

walrus tusk fragment 3.JPG

I can't help you on the ID but it's a nice find. 

I may be mistaken, but i don't believe walrus tusks are hollow that close to the tip.....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Do you know someone who could help with it? 

I doubt it is a tusk. It looks more like a bone to Me.

The ends are gone and that is what is used to identify this type of bone , so I do not believe it can be identified.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I too am leaning towards bone. Seems a bit skinny to hold up as a tusk. Keep in mind,tusks are used for food foraging and defense. This thing looks like it would snap if used for such purposes. 

Piece of terrestrial animal perhaps...cave bear?

I agree with the others. You have probably a terrestrial animal bone fragment, without the proximal and distal ends. I don't see the hollow internal part of it like the missing "popcorn" (secondary dentin) of a walrus tusk.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't think many tusks are hollow like that especially walrus to be honest it kind of reminds me of a baculum that's my best guess. The one below is not original but the various images reminded me of your fossil they are hollow in certain animals too.

oosik_03.jpg

rydysig.JPG

Archived