Fake, Cast, Partially Reconstructed, Or Genuine Trilobite???

Simple question is this trilobite real partially real or completely fake I understand much of large Cambrian trilobites are completely fake and have no actual genuine fossil remains in them I would like to be informed of which category this "fossil" falls into thanks in advance. (I'm expecting all the replies to be fake if it is completely fake with no fossil remains at all I ask for advice on what to look for next time I know most of the common signs only after the purchase of the "fossil" but before I completely give up the idea of a genuine fossil I figured some more experienced people could look at it again thanks in advance.

20170717_170921.jpg

20170717_170931.jpg

rydysig.JPG

Moved your post to the correct sub-Forum. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Moved your post to the correct sub-Forum. ;) 

Regards,

Thank you 

rydysig.JPG

The key to telling if this may be real or at least parts of it is to look for very small uniform bumpy details. Or please provide some better detailed pictures so we can see better details. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I agree with fossilized6s. Better photos are required to make an accurate judgement.

Though I will say that based on just these photos I'd hazard a guess and say that the front is real and the dark parts in the back are sculpted. The back seems a bit lacking in detail.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

In fact, for a better analysis, I would need better quality photos. But in my opinion, something is wrong with this fossil. A fossil must have a uniform color and not change suddenly from one color to another, although in very rare cases this may be possible, but I do not see how this may be the case here. I believe it may be a composition and the grooves around the fossil can hide suspicious fills.

01.PNG

It is very rare to discover an Trilobite Andalusiana sp. complete and still in good condition. I have one here in my private collection so you can compare. And note that mine is also possibly a composition.

02.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

8 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

In fact, for a better analysis, I would need better quality photos. But in my opinion, something is wrong with this fossil. A fossil must have a uniform color and not change suddenly from one color to another, although in very rare cases this may be possible, but I do not see how this may be the case here. I believe it may be a composition and the grooves around the fossil can hide suspicious fills.

01.PNG

Good eye there Seguidora,

I missed that!

I was drawn to the strange fracturing and colour transition on the tail end which reminded me of some type of putty or filler inside the rock.

Hard to say without clearer pictures.

like you say that colour transition is odd, but not impossible. Exposed vs not exposed fossil for example (different weathering).

The color difference is due to a common yellow oxide coating that usually covers these trilobites. The edges of the thorax and pygidium are often times sculpted. And you will notice a slight color difference in texture and color of a putty was used for sculpting. I'll will take pictures of my 90% real one when i get home and show you details to look for. 

This is a great link and addresses these Paradoxidae fakes in detail. 

https://www.paleodirect.com/fake-trilobites-how-to-identify/

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

52 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I missed that!

I was drawn to the strange fracturing and colour transition on the tail end which reminded me of some type of putty or filler inside the rock.

like you say that colour transition is odd, but not impossible. Exposed vs not exposed fossil for example (different weathering).

Thank you my friend Doctor Mud! I also think there is something weird about this fossil. But sadly it is common because 99.9% of these trilobites Andalusiana sp.  are being sold, or it is 100% sculpture, or it is composition ... It is very rare to find a Trilobite Andalusiana sp. complete and 100% true. Hugs!

03.PNG

1 hour ago, fossilized6s said:

The color difference is due to a common yellow oxide coating that usually covers these trilobites. The edges of the thorax and pygidium are often times sculpted. And you will notice a slight color difference in texture and color of a putty was used for sculpting. I'll will take pictures of my 90% real one when i get home and show you details to look for. 

This is a great link and addresses these Paradoxidae fakes in detail. 

https://www.paleodirect.com/fake-trilobites-how-to-identify/

Great Link there Charlie.

Thanks for posting it. I see it is also in your signature.

2 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

ct, for a better analysis, I would need better quality photos. But in my opinion, something is wrong with this fossil. A fossil must have a uniform color and not change suddenly from one color to another, although in very rare cases this may be possible, but I do not see how this may be the case here. I believe it may be a composition and the grooves around the fossil can hide suspicious fills.

2 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

I missed that!

I noticed all of these factors especially color difference and the suspicious texture and color I think I located air bubbles too here is the supposed specimen under a microscope.

Here are some pictures what do you think? 

S20170717_0010.jpg

S20170717_0007.jpg

S20170717_0006.jpg

S20170717_0009.jpg

rydysig.JPG

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I agree with fossilized6s. Better photos are required to make an accurate judgement.

Though I will say that based on just these photos I'd hazard a guess and say that the front is real and the dark parts in the back are sculpted. The back seems a bit lacking in detail.

That's what I was thinking to be honest I would be satisfied with that considering the price it was for. Here's a picture of the back darker end of the trilobite.

20170717_210952[1].jpg

rydysig.JPG

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Those look more like minerals than bubbles.

Bubbles will be a small round hole in the surface.

Really does that mean it's real? I've heard sometimes they use two different specimens but I don't know if that's really the case here.

rydysig.JPG

24 minutes ago, Ryan Dye said:

Really does that mean it's real? I've heard sometimes they use two different specimens but I don't know if that's really the case here.

I can not say if it is real or not. Only that those did not look like bubbles.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just now, ynot said:

I can not say if it is real or not. Only that those did not look like bubbles.

Does it mean anything that orange stuff only on the brighter side of the trilobite was smeared on the bubble wrap when I un-packaged it from getting home from the trip I was on?

rydysig.JPG

6 minutes ago, Ryan Dye said:

Does it mean anything that orange stuff only on the brighter side of the trilobite was smeared on the bubble wrap when I un-packaged it from getting home from the trip I was on?

Iron oxide is often chalk like and will rub off onto anything it comes into contact with. (think of touching a rusted nail.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

My genuine specimen, and here are a few signs that it is. 

20170717_195629.jpg

~Charlie~

In that case I think until further evidence is presented the beginning half of the trilobite is real however you mentioned you did not notice air bubbles on the back side of the trilobite either this area did not rub off anything like the front

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Iron oxide is often chalk like and will rub off onto anything it comes into contact with. (think of touching a rusted nail.)

1 minute ago, fossilized6s said:

My genuine specimen, and here are a few signs that it is. 

20170717_195629.jpg

What's your conjecture on the fossil at question? Do you think it is 100% fake or possibility to be partially reconstructed?

rydysig.JPG

Calcite filled cracks and breaks are a good sign. Most casts are almost flawless, which is a bad sign. 

20170717_204741.jpg

~Charlie~

3 minutes ago, Ryan Dye said:

In that case I think until further evidence is presented the beginning half of the trilobite is real however you mentioned you did not notice air bubbles on the back side of the trilobite either this area did not rub off anything like the front

What's your conjecture on the fossil at question? Do you think it is 100% fake or possibility to be partially reconstructed?

I'd also like to note it wasn't commercially bought on the internet it was at a privately owned museum in Blowing rock NC

1 minute ago, fossilized6s said:

Calcite filled cracks and breaks are a good sign. Most casts are almost flawless, which is a bad sign. 

20170717_204741.jpg

There are a abundant cracks in the top half however the lower half is almost perfect

rydysig.JPG

2 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Very fine detail, such as bumps and texturing.

20170717_204658.jpg

So what are you trying to convey that it's fake or real I understand your reasoning thank you for the tips much appreciated but what's your final opinion on the subject?

rydysig.JPG

In this specimen you can clearly see the poorly reconstructed parts. There is a color difference as well as texture difference. 

20170717_204905.jpg

~Charlie~

1 hour ago, Ryan Dye said:

I noticed all of these factors especially color difference and the suspicious texture and color I think I located air bubbles too here is the supposed specimen under a microscope.

Here are some pictures what do you think? 

S20170717_0010.jpg

S20170717_0007.jpg

S20170717_0006.jpg

S20170717_0009.jpg

Looking at the new photos you uploaded, I think it's authentic yes, but it was a composition with 2 trilobites.

03.PNG

Archived