Fake, Cast, Partially Reconstructed, Or Genuine Trilobite???

Teach a man to fish, and he eats forever. Lol

I can't make a clear conclusion with your provided pictures. That is why I'm trying to show you what to look for. An in-hand assessment is always better than pictures. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Just now, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Looking at the new photos you uploaded, I think it's authentic yes, but it was a composition with 2 trilobites.

Really? Wow for the price I payed that's not terrible at all I actually only payed 45 USD the guy working there said no one ever bought it for so long they put it from $150 to $45 I guess he technically was telling the truth as I asked him "is it real" 

1 minute ago, fossilized6s said:

Teach a man to fish, and he eats forever. Lol

I can't make a clear conclusion with your provided pictures. That is why I'm trying to show you what to look for. An in-hand assessment is always better than pictures. 

Is there any specific close up that would help to clarify a conclusion?

rydysig.JPG

I can say that these parts are 100% reconstructed. But just overall clear infocus shots would help. 

20170717_211552.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

8 minutes ago, Ryan Dye said:

Really? Wow for the price I payed that's not terrible at all I actually only payed 45 USD the guy working there said no one ever bought it for so long they put it from $150 to $45 I guess he technically was telling the truth as I asked him "is it real" 

Is there any specific close up that would help to clarify a conclusion?

The Iron oxide is not always an indication that a specimen can be genuine. For I have seen Moroccan craftsmen scraping the iron oxide of Calymene trilobites poorly preserved, turning them into powder and then mixing this iron oxide with a small amount of white cement or plaster, to paint an Trilobite Andalusiana made up of several real parts ... It's sad, But they do it too. But yes, a fossil is always worth what you are willing to pay, and I think it was a good deal, it seems to be real yes, a definite conclusion indeed, unfortunately only examining in hands ... But it looks like it was assembled, composed with two trilobites.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

6 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

The Iron oxide is not always an indication that a specimen can be genuine. For I have seen Moroccan craftsmen scraping the iron oxide of Calymene trilobites poorly preserved, turning them into powder and then mixing this iron oxide with a small amount of white cement or plaster, to paint an Trilobite Andalusiana made up of several real parts ... It's sad, But they do it too. But yes, a fossil is always worth what you are willing to pay, and I think it was a good deal, it seems to be real yes, a definite conclusion indeed, unfortunately only examining in hands ... But it looks like it was assembled, composed with two trilobites.

Yeah thank you for everyone who participated in my topic I learned a lot of different things through this experience luckily I picked the one shop that didn't completely fake it as I easily could of been tricked in the moment I will remember to look for indications of fakes before I purchase something of potentially high value.

11 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

I can say that these parts are 100% reconstructed. But just overall clear infocus shots would help. 

20170717_211552.jpg

Sure thing i'll get some more shots I see the plastered area your showing is there a specific part you should see?

rydysig.JPG

Actually, as @Seguidora-de-Isis had suggested, it does appear like two specimens have been joined. Look on the other side of this line i drew and see if there is a clear fracture line or filled putty. 

20170717_213712.jpg

~Charlie~

1 minute ago, fossilized6s said:

Actually, as @Seguidora-de-Isis had suggested, it does appear like two specimens have been joined. Look on the other side of this line i drew and see if there is a clear fracture line or filled putty. 

20170717_213712.jpg

Yes to be honest I noticed this before I even posted the specimen this was the main reason I questioned its authenticity so heavily

rydysig.JPG

I'd also like to note it wasn't commercially bought on the internet it was at a privately owned museum in Blowing rock NC

This is not a great signifier of authenticity, unfortunately. Even the Smithsonian Museum sells some questionable pieces (though that's one of the better places your money can go).

Having visited a handful of private, small fossil museums, they're generally run by retired rockhounds who are really passionate, but a little too trusting. One of my fondest memories is visiting Richard Dodrill's museum in Cushing, that had exhibits ranging from some curiously bubbly Moroccan trilobites to just incredible Black Cat Mountain pieces. A few years ago the museum was sold, and although I think the new owner had the intention of preserving the collection it has since been sold. Small-town fossil museums are a fantastic resource, though, so for $45 you did just fine!