I got this at a auction a while back not sure what it is help id?

Kingofthekats

Yeahh... I was watching this thread. I'm not really a vert guy, so I didn't want to be the first to respond in case I was wrong, but I was pretty sure that this was a suggestive rock. :/

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

The green surface suggests that it was the part exposed to the direct sunlight for the organisms necessitating the photosynthesis on the surface. It could be a gallery of fossil burrows like Thalassinoides or similar ichnogenus in worn condition, or maybe a sponge(?). Hard to tell.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Could you take a close, crisp image of the section outlined below, please? I can't tell if I am seeing shells or not. Thank you. :) 

IMG_8456.JPG

2 minutes ago, jewelonly said:

Could you take a close, crisp image of the section outlined below, please? I can't tell if I am seeing shells or not. Thank you. :) 

IMG_8456.JPG

Good eyes! I didn't see those features. Definitely some kind of little tube there.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

I think you have a limestone rock that still has some tiny fossils or fossil traces evident in it. I am looking just to the right of the knobby area (blurred background in the pic). What do you see? Does it look like some type of small round shell or crinoid? Also, the hole area on the knobby part seems to have faint ridges inside. Do you see them or is it my imagination? No wonder your rock has weathered to this interesting shape. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

There's that little guy. It's settled. It's a concretion of fossilized macaroni noodles! (Obviously I'm kidding.) Looks like some type of worm tube to me. There's some other really tiny ones in association as well it seems.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

The green surface suggests that it was the part exposed to the direct sunlight for the organisms necessitating the photosynthesis on the surface. It could be a gallery of fossil burrows like Thalassinoides or similar ichnogenus in worn condition, or maybe a sponge(?). Hard to tell.

Thank you for the extra pics, @Kingofthekats. They are very clear and helpful! :) 

There appear to be multiple tubes or burrows, supporting something like@abyssunder's reply, and yours as well @DevonianDigger.  :)  

Leah

The little sinuous things are calcareous tube worms, similar to the ones below from the Maastrichtian of Netherlands and Belgium.

pl1.thumb.jpg.3fdf65acf1987e2925f208cdecf2e865.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library