It definitely looks like one, but is it?

SqueakDaKing

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting, I absolutely love this forum. I've decided to register and dive head first. I've recently moved back to Southern Arizona from Florida and I have rekindled my love with rocks, and now fossils, since it would seem I've been finding many of them from all of the ages. Please help me identify this find, it looks carnivorous of some sort, it would be cliche to say it looks like a raptor, but indeed it does. It would be hard for me to believe that this is a fake, since there is also tons of evidence that would point to this being real. (If it is, I'll post more of my finds from the area). I KNOW, I'll get to the point already. I'd just like some real feedback from folks who are more informed and educated in this area than I am. Here it is... and what do you think? Mineralization? Replacement of the softer tissues with minerals? I also have more what look to be different skulls, but some with holes in them and inside you can see bone, which the rock has encased. Found in Southern Arizona. I do apologize for the images being rotated in every direction.

ndq4ps.jpg

30wnpfm.jpg

2mzib2f.jpg

5f0vi1.jpg

Skulls are not typically a solid item but composed of  multiple bones called elements that give it it's structure.  If fossilized those elements would easily be seen in the matrix they were in.

Allosaurus-skull-lateral-Madsen-BrantWorks-REVISED-900.jpg.7bc8bdada39d670fba4fbbda7e15b673.jpg

23 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

This piece looks like a limestone boulder.

May have some fossils on it , but I do not see any.

Thank you, it makes more sense to me now. This was found south-west of the Tucson Coldera Mountain Range, which was very active during the Jurassic age, a lot of limestone is now left scattered across the desert. Would it be too much to say, the bones got replaces by limestone? I can still see teeth outlines in this thing.

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Skulls are not typically a solid item but composed of  multiple bones called elements that give it it's structure.  If fossilized those elements would easily be seen in the matrix they were in.

Allosaurus-skull-lateral-Madsen-BrantWorks-REVISED-900.jpg.7bc8bdada39d670fba4fbbda7e15b673.jpg

Thanks, very informative. Also would ask, if the limestone could replace what should be a fossil? Due to Coldera Mountain Range, super volcanic activity during the time. This was found south west of what would be left of the coldera.

9 minutes ago, SqueakDaKing said:

Thank you, it makes more sense to me now. This was found south-west of the Tucson Coldera Mountain Range, which was very active during the Jurassic age, a lot of limestone is now left scattered across the desert. Would it be too much to say, the bones got replaces by limestone? I can still see teeth outlines in this thing.

Thanks, very informative. Also would ask, if the limestone could replace what should be a fossil? Due to Coldera Mountain Range, super volcanic activity during the time. This was found south west of what would be left of the coldera.

Limestone is a bedrock formation, not a replacement agent. At best limestone will hold the fossils together.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I see the vague shape, but it is just a oddly shaped rock. Keep looking though, Jurassic limestone sounds like ichthyosaurs and mosasaurs to me...

Welcome to the forum from central Maryland btw

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Am I the only one who sees a carnivore in the third image? :ighappy: but seriously..apart from the cat nothing but rock.

Archived