South Croatia coast finding

wojtek

Hi, 

This is a picture in situ of my finding, that I could not identify. 

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

P7030314.thumb.JPG.869c9febe0e44580a1184baf2f17091a.JPG

Those are cool looking! Nice find! I always wondered if Croatia had fossils, someday I'll have to acquire some.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, andreas said:

They look like some Rudists. Definitly no Orthoceras. Nearly all coast of Croatia is late Jurassic or Cretaceous.

Thanks a bunch for the correction,andreas, I don't wish to spread incorrect info 

Thank You all for Your replies and information! 

When I found the fossils I was surprised there were simply lying exposed just like that, next to the shore. It seems those are quite abundant there. Unfortunetely, best specimens were within large rocks, like in the picture. Impossible to pick. So... they are still there :-)

But I could find some smaller pieces, mostly with "cross-sections" like these:

IMG_20170718_222837.jpg

IMG_20170718_222525.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen this topic, but I could say with certainty that they are rudists, all of them. Pretty nice finds! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 7/19/2017 at 3:24 PM, wojtek said:

When I found the fossils I was surprised there were simply lying exposed just like that, next to the shore. It seems those are quite abundant there.

I'm wondering which coast are you referring to? There is no coast in East Croatia, because there is no Sea, so no shore. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 month later...

interesting…

…I’ve found a very similar rudist limestone at the podium of the arch of Trajan (Ancona, central Italy);

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_of_Trajan_(Ancona)

so, while the marble of the arch itself was from Turkey (Marmara Island), maybe the base stone was quarried much nearer (dalmatian coast), on the other side of the Adriatic sea;

Ciao

IMG_20170725_191526.thumb.jpg.dcfaa35ef8c2c954028fbe33a6f28fbd.jpg

IMG_20170725_190814.thumb.jpg.aa1d11b0d780bdce544e73983d785c88.jpg

Wow! that's amazing! It seems to be perfectly same thing.

Ancona seems to be the closest place to Zadar and Pakostane through the Adriatic sea.

To give a wider picture and to show the type of the rock i'll attach the view of the place of my finding, on the opposite, dalmatian coast.

P7030292a.JPG

That's better. So, the rudists are from South Croatia, not from East Croatia as it was in the original statement. Now, if you want to know the species described from the Santonian-Lower Campanian sediments of Dalmatia/Zadar: Pakostane, I suggest to check this link. Maybe it helps in the ID. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Similarly preserved specimens are the below ones from the vicinity, Bosnia and Herzegovina. link

PB073767.thumb.JPG.681f39da195bd974eea2dbc75371b8d3.JPGPB073766.thumb.JPG.4172b71cb7912877235687a62392dbcf.JPGP8292903.thumb.JPG.17cd9594335c5d1d761b7e06b6a613ce.JPG

Thomas Mann

My Library

Woah, those are some cool fossils. I don't have a good guess right now, but for some reason they seem to be like vertebrate, but also like exoskeleton scales. Nice finds btw!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

Woah, those are some cool fossils. I don't have a good guess right now, but for some reason they seem to be like vertebrate, but also like exoskeleton scales. Nice finds btw!

If you scroll back upwards, you'll discover that they are rudists.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

oh, okay.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png