Serpulid - Upper Creataceous - Styria, Austria

FranzBernhard

Hello,

this time a very mysterious fossil from the Gosau basin of Kainach, Styria, Austria (Campanium). A piece of limestone full of tubes with diameter up to 7 mm. There seem to be a variation of longidutinal ribs on the outside of the tubes. They are associated with one (lowest left) or two Hippuritids. I think these are serpulid worms, maybe genus Pyrgopolon, maybe something near to P. voigti Jäger, 2004. P. regia and P. macropus don´t fit 100%. What do you think?

Problem is, I can not find any reference about serpulids from the Austrian gosau basins - ?

Thank you very much for your help!
Franz Bernhard

Serpulidae_Kainach.jpg

Can we see the longitudinal ribs on the outside of the tubes?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Unfortunately not, its in solid rock. Some tube sections are partialy exposed, but only the inner wall can be seen, never the outer wall, which sticks firmly to the matrix. It seems that the inner wall has very fine, longitudinal lines, but I´m not realy sure of that.

However, irrespective that these are only cross sections in various directions - what is your "felling", what does it look like?

Thanks again!
Franz Bernhard

Thanks, ynot!

Clam? What kind of clam could it be?
Franz Bernhard

Thank you, ynot! Gut feeling was what I wanted. I will also dig into clams.

Franz Bernhard